pressure

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

INJEN78

HS LEGEND
ok i have an 89 crx si with a d16a6 in it..
car has 218k and the motor is acting real wierd..i put a breather filter on the valvecover vent and its smoking pretty heavy out of the vent..
now i cleaned the breather off yesterday with soapy water..and let it airdry..
but my thing is i feel like there is too much pressure in my motor..
when i pull the oil cap off with the motor running there is alot of air thats pushed out..
headgasket is fine ive checked that..i cleaned my pcv and that is all good too...
what else would be causing so much pressure that its smoking out of the breather..and it pushing oil out of the vc gasket???
the exhaust has no smoke coming out of it either

ok so timing belt is real loose..put the motor to TDC and its def. off a little bit..so im thinking maybe the pressure is from timing being off???
im putting new timing belt and tensioner and hopefully thatll be it

Is the PCV valve bad? That would be my only guess.

when my valve seats went south. mine did the same thing. and alsdo when the rings to a shit too.

damn..well i hope its the timing belt being off a tooth or 2...and i cleaned the pcv out still not doing it

PVC's are cheap, buy a new one, they're part of the maintenance group anyway. Also blow-by from the piston rings. Do a compression test.

I would recommend a leak down test on the motor. It sounds to me like worn compression rings or scarred cylinder walls. If you can't get a hold of a leak down tester than at least do a compression check and post the numbers.

first up is the new t-belt..if that doesnt fix it..ill run compression test..where would i get a leakdown thing and how exactly do i do that?

first up is the new t-belt..if that doesnt fix it..ill run compression test..where would i get a leakdown thing and how exactly do i do that?

How to do Cylinder Leak Down Testing- Car Craft Magazine

Vatozone or advance auto i believe can rent you both a compression tester and cld tester. basically for the cld test you want to start with a warm engine and then turn the crank by hand/ratchet until you get 1 cylinder at a time to tdc. once its at tdc you hook up the fitting to the spark plug hole and then fill with compressed air. it will give you a reading as to how acceptable or bad the leakage may be. as you're doing so you can also listen in your intake to see if you hear air leaking past the intake valves, and listen in the exhaust to see if you hear anything from the exhaust valves. then listen to see if you hear air blowing by through the oil cap. if so it's quite possible that your rings are toast. it could even be a combination of things. you just have to test and see.

well everyone is leaning towards valve seals..

i don't buy that. the seals may let oil by but unless the guides are shot there is no reason you'd see lots of air moving past them. and if that were the case you'd be burning an assload of oil, which so far you've said that is not the case. if it were ring blowby then you'd be burning oil like mad. check to make sure your pcv is functioning, or consider replacing it. it's a $3 part.

just cause you have blowby past the rings doesnt mean you will be buring a ton of oil, generally you will burn more than normal yes but it doesnt mean it will be chuggin like a train takin off.

the pcv is fine....i will replace it but..i think that the timing off have alot to do with it

if the timing is off and it's running rich then yes that can lead to blow-by. if you fix the timing and the problem still exists then definitely do a compression and cld test.

Back