prevenative precautions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
To make a long story short, i have a bad piston ring in my #1 cylinder. So instead of replacing the rings and having to take apart the motor, i am just going to replace it with a lower milage motor. I now have 150,000 miles on my car and this motor has 102,000. When Z6CRX and I take out the original motor, what things should i replace when i swap it in? I am already going to replace the front and rear main seals, transmission fluid, motor oil, spark plugs, rotor, cap, wires, re-using my new distributor, re-using my new alternator, and changing the timing belt to a new timing belt. What else should i buy so i will have a smooth runing motor again ? Because now i get 21 mpg and black smoke comes out of my motor when i am at wot, and when i start the motor up, white smoke sometimes pours out like a cloud :)

Water pump while you're in there.
Check the clutch too, replace if needed... actually replace anyway.
Fuel filter, any other belts if they look worn.
Thermostat. (and radiator hoses if they look bad)

yeah is a water pumo that needed? I can use the one on my car now, or possibly the one on the new motor... what does a new one cost?

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah is a water pumo that needed? I can use the one on my car now, or possibly the one on the new motor... what does a new one cost?
Depends on what motor it's for.
Using a used water pump is like using a used timing belt....not practical.
When either break it sucks.. and if you get really lucky the timing gear will rust off and break your timing belt too!
I would do it while i was in there, will save you from having to do it in the car, and give you peace of mind at the same time.
Plan to spend ~$70 for one.

yea i am thinking of an 02 sensor also... would that be practical? or should i wait for the cel? I think i am gonna reuse the water pump though :) this swap is gonna cost to much with that included :)

Quoted post[/post]]
yea i am thinking of an 02 sensor also... would that be practical? or should i wait for the cel? I think i am gonna reuse the water pump though :) this swap is gonna cost to much with that included :)
Lol, then skip the plug wires and cap/rotor until later...change the water pump!
I would wait for the CEL on the o2 unless you KNOW it's bad.
What engine is this for? Water pumps range in price.

d15b7! that engine is bulletproof :) besides the piston rings... BUt fuck it i think a water pump is needed also. Any hook up on prices? or where to buy from?

Quoted post[/post]]
d15b7! that engine is bulletproof :) besides the piston rings... BUt fuck it i think a water pump is needed also. Any hook up on prices? or where to buy from?
1995 Civic 1.5L
Water pump is $34.99 NEW not reman at AutoZone with a lifetime warranty..
Which means you and all your friends can have free single cam water pumps for ever!!!!!OMG!!!!
$35 well worth it :wink:

peer pressure.... :hmm: oh ok i ordered it. i will thank you later. And Z6CRX is hooking me up with a free d16z6 exhaust manifold, with a new o2 sensor. This is guy is the man!

Don't forget to check your timing belt tensioner. A lot of people seem to overlook this when changing the timing belt. Grab the pulley and see if it wobbles at all. Replace if you have any movement whatsoever. Kinda like what VTECin5th said about the waterpump gear coming off and the problems that follow-same thing will happen with a bad tensioner.

Well i just got back from all types of parts stores, buying crap for this swap tomorrow. Let me know if i should look into purchasing anything else...

1. head gasket
2. timing belt
3. catalytic converter
4. ngk plugs
5. distributor cap
6. distributer rotor
7. spark plug wires
8. fuel filter
9. water pump
10. atf fluid ( 3quarts)
11. oil
12. intake manifold gasket ( i have to reuse my old one )
13. 02 sensor ( which is coming with the exhaust manifold for free )
14. transmission rear main seal

i am also like stated... using my distributor with lass than 12k miles on it and i am using my alternator with roughly 8k on it. I am probably going to return a few parts but i just like to have everything there, so i will not have to run back out. I have a feeling i may not need the catalytic converter, but i bought ti anyway, so i can get 95 for that back if mine is ok :) Also i think the wires anre new and i have a feeling i am returning them. All together rightr now i have spent... ~400. so i am willing to spend that to get 40+mpg again...

Quoted post[/post]]
Don't forget to check your timing belt tensioner. A lot of people seem to overlook this when changing the timing belt. Grab the pulley and see if it wobbles at all. Replace if you have any movement whatsoever. Kinda like what VTECin5th said about the waterpump gear coming off and the problems that follow-same thing will happen with a bad tensioner.

Back