Prevention of Car Rusting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IceBolt

Hey guys,

I am doing a research paper on prevention of rust on cars and thought you guys could help me out.

1. Is it true that most cars come with rust protection already? If so, could you please give me some examples.. I am having trouble finding out what ones.

2. Are there Zinc blocks that could prevent rusting like in boats? If there aren't, would it work?

3. Does the "undercoating/rust protection/paint protected" that you pay $500+ for help your car and is that the only way to prevent rust?

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks,

Vince

i believe cars come from the factory with whats called an E coat...

not really sure what it is, if it really exists, or its purpose...

i know rustoleum type paint has either a surplus or lacking in electrons, which stops or slows the oxidation process...

i remember my parents 1988 Dodge Aries K car had a sticker on the window saying protected by some rust stopped coating or some shit...

the best way to prevent rust is to clean your car completely on a regular basis...
trapped water = rust...

The Zinc block reacts with the salt in the water to prevent that water from causing rust. Unless the car is sitting in water, it won't help.

Electrical methods such as the Sacrificial Cathode will give up it's own electrons to the unstable rust protogen instead of the body giving it up.

A Rust coating (As applied in modern cars) is a spray or bath (bath preferred) that will actually coat the metal (As far as coverage, you only need a few particles of the rust coating per millions of material for it to work)

Up until 1991 Japan was banned from "open pools of chemicals" after WWII regulations, and because of that had to apply their rust protection in a spray form. That spray couldn't get everywhere, so it would rust from the inside out. (Owners of 80s cars know EXACTLY what I'm talking about). Since that regulation was lifted their techniques were caught up to the rest of the world in dunks and tanks.

The Sacrifical cathode is a great way to prevent rust, and I will be using 3 cathodes in my Nissan for this purpose. Since it's a maintanence thing (I'll be using #6 railroad spikes) you would have to make it part of the maintenance schedule of the car, which a manufacturer isn't willing to do and then support.

Bang for the buck, your best bet is to wash the car every weekend. Even in the winter. I load up $3 in coin at the car wash and power wash the under side and in all the fender wells and I wind up doing pretty well. my 4Runner lasted for 3 years in CT with no undercoating (Until I left it for 9 months and the rust rendered it completely useless)

-> Steve

Some of the earlier protective coatings were Rusty Wallace, EnGuarde Protection and Delco had their own for a while.

Yeah... Rusty Wallace is a race car driver.

Wait... NASCAR isn't really racing, per se.

alot of cars are galvanized these days. Because of this, rust is no longer as big of an issue as it was a little bit ago. Do alot of reading up on that method.

it's sacrificial anode.

read about austenitic stainless steel also.

high chromium content in steel (greater than 11%) will keep it corrosion resistant.

by the way.. what class is this for?

it has to do with chemical potential and the so-called thermodynamic "activity" which is in itself a rather obscure thing.

it all depends on what direction you want to take the paper...
i can help from a materials standpoint

it's made out of people with high chromium content!!

oh no3s!!!one!!

no you idiots, its made out of plastic. so even though its ULEV, its still hazardous to the environment :p

It's for a business class.. Entrepreneurship. Had an idea .. but now it won't work.

Thanks guys I appreciate the quality info :)

There's a Rusty Wallis Honda in East Dallas (off 635 and Jupiter)

Back