Price reasonable for swap?-> my car issue.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

meshca

So i finaly reached a descent shop who do swaps, installs, builds, etc etc.
He has a b16 already.
So..the theory goes: i give him my car, he does the install, etc etc.

Now if i want a b16 all motor, it's 4000$ (with 210hp) ..that's pretty damn expensive in my books, but he's got a good rep and the motor is good. I figure i can get a b16 for around 2k/+another 1.5k for internals+my install= saving 500$.. but i'm a newb at installs..soooo 3.5k v 4k is not bad

This is where it gets better/worse

If i want a b16 boosted (350hp), then that would cost me 3200$ instead of 4k$ to build the motor. The turbo will be a top mount turbo with a custom turbo manifold. The price of the turbo will vary depending on wth i want..so +3500$ as an estimate. Total: $6700

I have enough money to do both in this case. The question is: Is this guy ripping me off on the setup, is it moderetly priced, or is it a good deal?

I asked him for a quote that included: tein basic suspension/ exaust upgrade.
I gave him my price range, and i asked him to come up wiht an exact quote for the package for b16boosted/ and b16 all motor.

I'll know by tuesday at latest,
and the information i'm finding out will be more specific as well. :
-WHAT is he building on the all motor.
-what kind of pistons,rods,valves,retainers,cams
-what kind of head work/ what kind of machining(if any) o.s. or st. rings. is it gonna be stroking or just reg.
-what comp. ratio is he gonna be giving me?
list parts and brands for both setups
For the comp ratio i think 10.4-10.6 is good, the lower the easier the tunning's going to be if it's boosted.

Anything on this subject is welcomed, even flaming =D
363ahhhhh.gif

Last edited:
well if hes gona back his work up and thats whp that your gona get for that price and the price includes motor and everything,,,dude jump all over it thats a great price

Anything on this subject is welcomed, even flaming =D

put your flame suit on.

if you are going to spend that much on a honda, you are an idiot. you wont get your money back and you will get it stolen or blow it.

if you want me to give you real advice, here it is.

$4k on a 210hp b16 is a waste. you could build a gsr with itr pistons and some good cams for way less. you would be better buying a legit gsr for $2500 and getting a good lsd.

as for the turbo setup, i wouldn't do it. mainly because that is too much power. you don't need that much for a daily driver.

what are you using the car for? what do you do for money? do you have a second car?

put your flame suit on.

if you are going to spend that much on a honda, you are an idiot. you wont get your money back and you will get it stolen or blow it.

"stop" "drop" and "rolling"

if you want me to give you real advice, here it is.

$4k on a 210hp b16 is a waste. you could build a gsr with itr pistons and some good cams for way less. you would be better buying a legit gsr for $2500 and getting a good lsd.

as for the turbo setup, i wouldn't do it. mainly because that is too much power. you don't need that much for a daily driver.

what are you using the car for? what do you do for money? do you have a second car?

all motor b16 is a waste yes, and i don't want an b16 n/a as an alternative if he is going to quote me more for a boosted b16.

As a DD, no i don't need that much power, as i'm going to get more and more into auto-X yes i will, and other things for that matter. i could just save up to when i need it? yes i could, but i would like the b16 boosted, if i can't do that then i will build a gsr all motor.

car is for: weekend driving(highway miles), i don't drive during weekdays a lot. Also for autoX, and for some of the local racing events. No shit i don't have experience in racing, but i know how to drive safely fast. I won't go nuts the first time i do autoX, i won't even mind if i come in last, as long as i gradually learn racing technique.

second car: NO, that is why i chose to work on the civic, it's reliable, so are the b-series engines.
if i had a second car i'd get a 240sx and do work on it.

*flame suit taken off*

240sx for the win. i have one and love it.

anyways, i would get an h22 swap with i/h/e and tune it. get a killer suspension and you would have a sick autox and road course car. and you could do all that for under 4g's and have a way better setup than turbo b16. it would be reliable, cheaper, and have better power. it would probably weight about the same as the turbo b16 to.

240sx for the win. i have one and love it.

anyways, i would get an h22 swap with i/h/e and tune it. get a killer suspension and you would have a sick autox and road course car. and you could do all that for under 4g's and have a way better setup than turbo b16. it would be reliable, cheaper, and have better power. it would probably weight about the same as the turbo b16 to.
i disagree

i disagree
as my old english teacher once said to me, "an opinion ain't worth a hill of beans if you don't back it up".

what's the problem here? h22 can be done for $2500. tuned with a good i/h/e for less than $3500 total. put $800 into a good suspension and you have a great all purpose car. way better than fully building a b16 and turbo.

well first let me say i love the h22a i have one in my ek hatch, but for a good suspension setup and i/h/e and everything you need to get it going in the civic it will cost more than that unless you do everything ebay style,even then i think a built b16a turbo will out shine it. h22a are great but the b series is more reliable. if your just droping a motor in and all your gona do is put a h/i/e on it i say h22a all the way but when you start turboing i would go with the b

i would personally take the reliability of the h22 over a turbo b. yes, the b will have more power. but think of the pedal power of all motor. it would kick ass all around the track. this is for autox and road racing. with i/h/e on the h22 you can get 200hp out of it and still have it incredibly reliable.

if i swap an h22 into my civic, i wont be able to keep my a/c because of the tight fit. I'm not completely sure on that though.

and if i ever wanted to boost it in the future? =no a/c right?

I am getting all the info and more tonight when he calls me. Hope all goes well for my side of the deal heh. Wish me luck

you need to decide if you want a race car or a comfortable car. unless you get an evo or something like that, it's hard to have both.

you throw sacrifice luxuries when you want a good suspension, more power, and a lightweight car. my advice would be to do all or none. set up your car or use it as a daily. if you are going to buy the 240sx, use that for daily and make your hatch full race spec. but thats' just my .02.

Back