Primer air pressure

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Whats everybody use for air pressure when priming thier car?

i usealy go about 60 with a gravity feed gun but it is some thing that you have to play with every one likes a little bit more air than others

ps no its no good to have a rusty dipstick in your jeep i have a 87yj 4.2l with a 3 in lift and 32s what you got

:roll: This was my roomates jeep. He comes in the house and asks me..."my oil pressure guage doesn't work." So I asked him "how much oil is in there." since he doesn't change the oil much ever. He checks it, and comes back in and says "the dipstick is rusty!" There was no oil in there at all, for who knows how long. Its a `93 jeep wrangler w/2.5l ya he deserves a smack upside the head. He just bought a 2000 jeep grand cherokee classic and we are making sure he takes car of this car.

Originally posted by cheese9988@Jun 14 2004, 04:56 PM
:roll: This was my roomates jeep. He comes in the house and asks me..."my oil pressure guage doesn't work." So I asked him "how much oil is in there." since he doesn't change the oil much ever. He checks it, and comes back in and says "the dipstick is rusty!" There was no oil in there at all, for who knows how long. Its a `93 jeep wrangler w/2.5l ya he deserves a smack upside the head. He just bought a 2000 jeep grand cherokee classic and we are making sure he takes car of this car.

LMAO!!!

sounds like my friends... "cars need oil? ... whats oil?" haha

60 ps1 is WAY to much to run at the gun....i run about 55- 60 on the wall and about 20 21 pounds at the gun (HVLP gravity fed)

Is that just because the you should use less pressure for the primer? The gun I have doesn't have a guage or adjustment at the gun, would it be better to add one?

it is good to have one but not necessary you are just spraying primer

So when I am applying the top coat, think thats a better idea? Its singlestage paint that I have been using. I had been leaving it 40-60 depending on the application, but that was with a cheap syphon feed.

the primer you should be able to spray just by feel of the pressure, and as far as the paint goes it depends on whether your gun is hvlp or not

i run 18-19 at the gun for basecoat and about 21-22 at the gun for cleacoat, and if im spraying metallic i will dust coat everything after i put my first 2 coats on , in order to lay all the metallic in uniform when i do this i run slightly less air pressure around 16-17

around 25 psi but i will guess by your other post your switchin to a basecoat clearcoat paint this time....

The new hvlp gun that I bought, the manual says it needs a min of 30psi, should I still set the guage lower at the gun? I have a guage that screws on separate, didn't come with it. The manual is written is some kind of translated language I assume because the english is all broken up. But it also says it works best if oiled? Shouldn't paint be oil free I thought? There is a small paint filter underneathe the paint container that seems to have a little oil on it too?

hvlp gun at 30 psi? oiul in the gun? what did you pay for it?
and you use vasoline on the trigger seals and the pin thats about it

Why would the air gun have oil anyway? do some paints require it? On the box they even show some guy painting a fender. The thing is alot better than my old gun by far. Also, do you think a quart of primer would be enough for a crx, or should I get a little more?

Back