Primer thickness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Just a real dumb question. I just read a thread on here and a guy added reducer to his primer. Is that something typically you should do? Because I have never read anywhere that said you were supposed to do it that way.

lol...thanks

the primer i used was a 3 part primer...

napa cheapy crossfire brand (15221 product number i believe?)

3 parts = primer, reducer, hardner

you're suppose to mix it 8:2:1 but i ended up mixing it like 8 parts to 3.5-4 parts to 1.

by adding more reducer it make's it thinner, and that is what i wanted becuase i didn't want to deal w/ any bumps or fuckups form my gun

i think driver1 will back me up on this or he will scolld me for mixing wrong

lol

So because the primer didn't mention anything about it on the can I shouldn't mix any primer in there?

Originally posted by cheese9988@Sep 3 2004, 01:06 AM
Just a real dumb question. I just read a thread on here and a guy added reducer to his primer. Is that something typically you should do? Because I have never read anywhere that said you were supposed to do it that way.
[post=385606]Quoted post[/post]​

Most all primer is reduced one way or another. What are you priming in the first place? Lots of primer=bad.

primer is not bad and no it is not reduced it need to be reduced with virgin laqour thinner in most cases. it does not come spryable unless the can states sparyable

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Sep 4 2004, 12:38 AM
primer is not bad and no it is not reduced it need to be reduced with virgin laqour thinner in most cases. it does not come spryable unless the can states sparyable
[post=385983]Quoted post[/post]​

Hmm I worded that wrong.. I say "Most all primer is reduced one way or another" meaning it will be reduced before spraying..

But yes too much primer is bad.. especially for a novice. You see all these morons priming their entire car, turning their already straight panels into a wavy washboard mess

40-

why don't you go fuck off? You have done nothing but say negitive shit for all of the posts that I've sene of yours. What the fuck do you know? I'm sure hcivic or driver1 knows more than you about body work and their opinions are much more educated than yours.

The only shit that should come sprayable is like the plastic paint prep dpx-801 from ppg or the other equlivants(sp?)

as far as wave washboard mess which im sure you're referring to my car as, fuck off, there isn't shit that you can see as far as waves. Lets see some of your fuckin work? Look at the earlier pages of my fucking cardomain site to see how much rust was on my car and were it was rear-ended. ? There isn't a straight piece of metal on the whole fuckin car. Now look at page 6/7 and you can see how it looks now. The only spots that are questionable are the rear lower quarter panels were the rust was.

you can suck a fatty for all that I care.

40 if you don;t stop with your bullshit post i will ask a mod to deal with you!

and as for wavy primer how thick is it getting put on?

and ss it looks good man with a little high build on those spots and some good block sanding with 1000 grit it will look even better

i've already based and clear coated it im wet sanding it tomororw and then ptuting the float coat on...

it should be fine

Originally posted by ssl2k@Sep 4 2004, 10:45 AM
40-

why don't you go fuck off? You have done nothing but say negitive shit for all of the posts that I've sene of yours. What the fuck do you know? I'm sure hcivic or driver1 knows more than you about body work and their opinions are much more educated than yours.

Im not in a competition with anyone

The only shit that should come sprayable is like the plastic paint prep dpx-801 from ppg or the other equlivants(sp?)

Don't know what you're talking about here, please clarify

as far as wave washboard mess which im sure you're referring to my car as, fuck off, there isn't shit that you can see as far as waves. Lets see some of your fuckin work? Look at the earlier pages of my fucking cardomain site to see how much rust was on my car and were it was rear-ended. ? There isn't a straight piece of metal on the whole fuckin car. Now look at page 6/7 and you can see how it looks now. The only spots that are questionable are the rear lower quarter panels were the rust was.

I was not refering to your car, I was stating that people go and spray primer all over the place where it is not needed. Frankly I don't give a shit about your car.
For that matter pictures never do justice

you can suck a fatty for all that I care.

Die Plz

[post=386068]Quoted post[/post]​

Back