printing from dos cmd prompt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
running ping tests, getting over 50% loss
cable techs are coming today and i want to print my results to show them

anyone know how to copy or print results from a dos window?

i think the link you provided is for when you use the print command is dos to print a file, not for printing the actual text in the dos screen...

and for some reason my print screen never works for me god damn it...

edit: not worth a new thread but there's a d17a1 on ebay for 400 bucks... not sure why anyone would want it but thats cheap for a brand new motor...

Easy.

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > somefile.txt <-- saves everything to a text file instead of to your screen

or

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > prn: <-- prints your output instead of showing it on the screen

:)

:)

Gotta love those old DOS days. I still use it to dump directory listings to text files.

That's a good way to use a network printer from the DOS prompt though.

recked- if you want to dump to a text file and then print later after you've read through the results, you can just use this command to print:

copy whatever.txt prn

That'll shoot it to your printer, and it works for any file that can be read in DOS without some other program.

thank you everyone for your help...

tech just came and left
they added a splitter to the line but it didn;t help much

the problem according to them is that we have TOO much of an incoming signal...

they like to see a signal around 0 with an allowance of -5 to +5, our signal was something to the effect of 16, after the splitter was added its still at 9, and they say its just too much...

if we had tv's or something it would help eat up the signal...

does anyone know what value this signal is measured in? lol
i understand -5 to +5 and 16 and 9, but no idea what value is being measured...
edit: thanks calesta for the help
and thanks dohcvtec, i searched before posting and got the same type of results, lol

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 20 2005, 12:01 PM
thank you everyone for your help...

tech just came and left
they added a splitter to the line but it didn;t help much

the problem according to them is that we have TOO much of an incoming signal...

they like to see a signal around 0 with an allowance of -5 to +5, our signal was something to the effect of 16, after the splitter was added its still at 9, and they say its just too much...

if we had tv's or something it would help eat up the signal...

does anyone know what value this signal is measured in? lol
i understand -5 to +5 and 16 and 9, but no idea what value is being measured...
edit: thanks calesta for the help
and thanks dohcvtec, i searched before posting and got the same type of results, lol
[post=448627]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe the unit of menasure is dBmV = decibel millivolt
it the atenuation of the signal.

to drop your signal even lower just get another 1GHz splitter that drops the signal 3.5dB and split the signal going to your cable modem again if that's really the problem

and as far as getting 50% packet loss, a ping test isn't the only data you should look at, you should do a few trace routes (tracert) to a destination and take a look and see were the packets are getting dropped.

A nice place to do some testing http://network-tools.com/

So.. there's... not enough attenuation???

I thought the less attenuation the better?

I was always under the same impression, I believe the input signal to my modem is +48dB , I'll have to check when I get home tho

---

Well I checked and my signal is ,
downstream: Power Level -4 dBmV
upstream: Power Level 48 dBmV

so the signal is getting thinned out too much then?

had to bust out dictionary.com for attenuation, you smart fuckers
lol

lol

maybe the first mistake was actually believing what the cable guys told you. :p

lol, i don't believe them...

they tried telling me the lines were fine and it was an internal problem with my network...

did ping tests to modem and router, and determined they were fine, and my network was fine...
so only after i could prove it wasn't on my end would they send someone out here...

Yeah. They automatically assume that the general public is too stupid to set up and operate a network properly.

That happened to me one time and I got so mad I told them to have someone bring me the diagnostic tools and I'd do it myself. They sent a tech over.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 20 2005, 12:29 PM
so the signal is getting thinned out too much then?

had to bust out dictionary.com for attenuation, you smart fuckers
lol
[post=448641]Quoted post[/post]​

actually the correct context of this word would be
to lessen the amount, force, magnitude, or value of : WEAKEN

alright, so i called my tech support, the guy that set up this network before i started here...

we ran some tests, return time to router, and cable modem of less than 10ms, so we determined the problem was outside the building...
had the tech come this morning, he put this splitter on the line, said it was INDEED a problem with THEIR line, and they would send someone to check the line...

so the guy came, checked the line, decided it was fine and left without saying anything to me... so now i calll them back and they try to tell me again that its a problem with my network...

so i tell them the tech was here this morning and told me my shit is fine and it was their problem, and the guy on the phone just says, nope, there's nothing wrong...

what the fuck, so now another asshole is gonna come out here tomorrow, and the circus starts all over again

lol, good idea, but uhm... i wasn't too nice so a recording prob wouldn't be in my favor on this one...

called back my tech and he said to just send him what i told him over the phone in an e-mail and he will get it taken care of... i guess he has a connection...

but thanks for the tip...

calesta = skoal... always there in a pinch
lol
thanks again

Back