Private spacecraft to launch June 21

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94RedSiGal

Original link here with three video links on the page.
Private spacecraft to launch June 21
By Michael Coren
CNN space and science editor
Wednesday, June 2, 2004 Posted: 2021 GMT (0421 HKT)

(CNN) -- The world's first privately built spacecraft is scheduled to leave Earth on June 21 and -- if successful -- usher in a new era of spaceflight for private enterprise.

Scaled Composites, the company launching SpaceShipOne, said the launch will open a new frontier for human spaceflight.

"Without the entrepreneur approach, space access would continue to be out of reach for ordinary citizens," said Burt Rutan, the aeronautics engineer leading the program, in a written statement. "The SpaceShipOne flights will change all that and encourage others to usher in a new, lost-cost era in space travel."

In the early morning of June 21, the spacecraft and its pilot are to be carried by a jet called the White Knight to an altitude of about 50,000 feet. The craft will then separate from the jet and glide for several seconds before its rocket engines are ignited.

The 80-second burn will propel the craft to Mach 3, three times the speed of sound, and into space. It will cruise for three minutes beyond Earth's atmosphere, approximately 100 km (62 miles) above the ground. The pilot will then perform a maneuver called "feathering" that reconfigures its wings to increase drag and bring it back to Earth.

The vehicle will touch down on the same runway it left about an hour and a half earlier.

The company's decision to launch into space -- and confirm its lead in the $10 million Ansari X Prize competition for civilian spaceflight -- was announced Wednesday. The California-based company said the public will be able to view the takeoff at its projected "spaceport" in the Mojave Desert of California.

SpaceShipOne is not the only spacecraft in the running for the X Prize. More than 20 teams from seven countries have registered to compete for the award. A private foundation will award the prize to the first team that privately finances, builds and launches a spaceship carrying three people into sub-orbital space -- 62.5 miles above Earth. The vehicle must return safely and repeat the launch within two weeks.

Rutan's craft will have only one person on board for the June 21 attempt despite having room for two passengers. Depending on the success of the initial flight, it will compete for the X Prize later in the year.

The financial and visionary force behind the company, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, said the achievements of SpaceShipOne represent more than just a successful test flight.

"This flight is one of the most exciting and challenging activities taking place in aviation and aerospace today," Allen said in a written statement. "Every time SpaceShipOne flies we demonstrate that relatively modest amounts of private funding can significantly increase the boundaries of commercial space technology."

The Scaled Composites team has made 14 successful test flights without a major mishap. The last trial on May 13 achieved a height of 211,400 feet -- approximately 40 miles -- during a 55-second rocket burn. Despite a guidance system malfunction that forced the pilot to navigate the return trajectory by sight, the touchdown went smoothly.

The public will be able to view the latest test flight up close from the Mojave Airport.

spaceshipone? lol GREEEAT original name they came up with. lol

I wouldn't be flyign it in- thats for sure. but hey, it IS the future.

i'm so buying a plot of land on mars

i THINK you need some sort of permission to go into space from the u.s. government....or to even launch a rocket for that matter.

dont quote me tho, but i remember hearing or reading somewhere that it is against the law to go into space without the u.s. governents approval....

im flying up to the moon to collect rocks to come back down to earth to sell on Ebay.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Jun 2 2004, 04:11 PM
i THINK you need some sort of permission to go into space from the u.s. government....or to even launch a rocket for that matter.

dont quote me tho, but i remember hearing or reading somewhere that it is against the law to go into space without the u.s. governents approval....

Why would you need permission? the us gov does not own anything outside the land of the US thats like saying you can't live on a boat in the middle of the ocean

can anyone say they own the ocean 400 miles out? nah

now it might be a different story if they are trying to blast off from the US into space
they might need to talk over to mexico in order to do that =)

Originally posted by jeffie7+Jun 2 2004, 04:32 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Jun 2 2004, 04:11 PM

Why would you need permission? the us gov does not own anything outside the land of the US thats like saying you can't live on a boat in the middle of the ocean

can anyone say they own the ocean 400 miles out? nah

now it might be a different story if they are trying to blast off from the US into space

no no, im serious dude...

my mind is (was before i smoked and snorted my last remaining brain cells to oblivion) a treasure trove of useless trivia....

im almost 100% sure that you do need some sort of permission from the u.s. government (if you live in the u.s.) to go into space....

im not sure exactly what part of that is truth....but i guarantee you if someone looks it up, they will find im right.

sorry, too lazy to look it up.

actually, i could care less whether or not u guys believe me.....

but, trust me on this one :thumbsup:

i dont spout my mouth off, unless there is some fraction of truth to what im saying.....

Hes right, you need permission from the US government to go into space from *US SOIL*. Just like you need a permit to fly an aircraft in US Air Space.

I could believe it. There's probably hundreds of spy aircraft up there that they don't want you to see. Somebody has to keep an eye on the aliens and keep it quiet...... :)

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Jun 2 2004, 04:13 PM
im flying up to the moon to collect rocks to come back down to earth to sell on Ebay.

Tony you Whore (<----- with a capital W)

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jun 2 2004, 04:32 PM

I did say that!

that does not mean you can't go out of the country to do it and Im guesing "did not read the link" they are doing it outside this country

Back