Pro Draggers make RWD Civics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

odnet

Hondas are great little cars, most of us here are here because of the fuel efficient smiling cars that are raging through our neighborhoods, school parking lots, and shhh... down an illegally sanctioned drag strip.

So Stephen Papadakis is running a RWD Civic setup, which I feel is leaving the traditional Honda Civic boundries and pretty much making it a killer machine.

Now there are plenty of :worthy: geniuses around here. Lets say you were tired of the FWD and you wanted some good drifting or better winter capability... how would you transfer your Civic/Teg to a RWD (not for winter!) or an AWD beast?

My thoughts were:

1-Gas tank is definately in the way... a racing unit in the trunk?
2-CR-Vs use AWD and the B20 (for CRVTEC) is a powerful combo.
3-CR-V transmissions aren't meant to have the shit stomped out of them, I'm sure, so how do you hook up a 200~240+ whp FWD civic motor to an AWD tranny that may only make it 10 miles before it goes cappooey.

Any ideas? I live in Iowa and my Daily Driver Civic sucks in the winter, I test drove a 2.5RS subey and loved it though... AWD EK or DC would be nice though..

gimme some input good or bad.

its simple

tube frame the car
get a AWD or RWD setup from another car
custom fab it to work with your new tube frame chasis
put civic body panels on the tube chasis

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 20 2004, 04:56 PM
its simple

tube frame the car

not exactly streetbale

Originally posted by vtecsir1+Feb 20 2004, 04:59 PM-->
@Feb 20 2004, 04:56 PM
its simple

tube frame the car

not exactly streetbale

oh im sorry was this suppsed to be streetable???

ok then go buy an AWD or RWD car :)

isn't honda tuning building the "86 killer"?

EF hatch, with a the whole drivetrain assy moved to the rear?

yeah, :concur: if you want a rear wheel drive car buy one

-same goes for AWD drive cars- hondas are front wheel drive- please leave them that way

Honda Tunning made a AWD ITR. B18C5 motor, CRV tranny, custom drivetrain made from CRV and regular B series parts. They haven't had any problems with it yet.

oh yeah and i forgot about the 86 killer, no thats a AWD wagon. I've been tryin to find one of those for my own project but bastards out here want $1200 and up for a beat up 86 civic awd wagon. HT is doing a D16y8 swap into it and i forgot what else. I wanna do the same but go SOHC VTEC turbo with it. Still looking for one too.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Feb 20 2004, 05:15 PM
Honda Tunning made a AWD ITR. B18C5 motor, CRV tranny, custom drivetrain made from CRV and regular B series parts. They haven't had any problems with it yet.

ok and how much $$$$$ did it take (or would it take)
now you have the fact that the CRV AWD setup sucks nuts for prformance
so after all that $$$$ you still have a sorry ass AWD system

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Feb 20 2004, 05:20 PM-->
@Feb 20 2004, 05:15 PM

im not the one who made it, or even said i like it or hate it. i was just saying they made one. i'd look into it first before calling it a sorry ass setup since its a magazine and they have plenty of money to do whatever the f*ck they want, im still waiting till they come out with more articles about it.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg+Feb 20 2004, 05:32 PM-->
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 20 2004, 05:20 PM
Gen2Teg
@Feb 20 2004, 05:15 PM

im not the one who made it, or even said i like it or hate it. i was just saying they made one. i'd look into it first before calling it a sorry ass setup since its a magazine and they have plenty of money to do whatever the f*ck they want, im still waiting till they come out with more articles about it.

basicly what i am saying is it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just buy a car with a good AWD system to begin with
audi - best AWD system on th planet
subaru - VERY good
mitsubishi - somewhat tempremental but good

then there is the issue of weight
AWD is not light.... moving a car with a lot of weight takes torque.... honda doesnt know what torque is

oh yeah and i forgot about the 86 killer, no thats a AWD wagon

no, that is the Draggin' Wagon...

the 86 killer is an ef hatch, with a tube-chassis, and the entire B-series drivetrain mounted in the hatch

all modular, they can drop the engine/trans/etc by pulling like 8 bolts

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Feb 20 2004, 05:15 PM

Bullshit, in the last issue, the damn diff went out. they will say exactly what happened next issue

again, i go back to my original post- why the hell do people see the need to make hondas AWD or RWD- just leave the damn things FWD- if you have tons of money to spend on the changeover it makes absolutely no sense to do it- buy a car that is already AWD and mod it and you'll be more happy with the performance and reliablity anyway end of story

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 20 2004, 04:56 PM
its simple

tube frame the car

or, get a new more powerfull car, and dump all the money you would have spent on your honda into it.

Originally posted by Gen2Teg@Feb 20 2004, 11:15 PM

An ITR motor, doesn't make a car an ITR, and it was pretty much as already mentioned a "failure", a novel idea, but that's all, and there's no mention of it in this months issue.

i thought the crv tranny only tranfserred like 20% of the power to the rear axles....

power...haha.

lol therefore I now claim a nice lil 2.5RS w/ 2.0Litre swap is in order. Everyone just proved here that originality in Hondas is now dead.

So where's a good place to get USDM Subaru motors? I don't want to touch the japanese "Rip-off"/"Mock Off"/"Shined and Shitty" motors.

Back