problem 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok here is the second problem, ok i was running the car today because i want what ever of the bad gas to burn out of my system so it was running i was putting shit back together on the inside of my civic and out of the blue the car started acting like it wanted to turn off and i was like o no here we go again, then it turned off went to start it again and it didn't even turn over grabbed a boost it and hooked it up and boom it started i took off the boost it and it ran for like five mins then it died again so i know the battery is going dead so i put it on the battery tender, now what i want to know is how can i test the altenator (mind you i got it rebuilt maybe about 5 months about but remember the civic was not running for a while for about 3 months but the battery was on the battery tender the whole time) so what could it be? is the battery shoot like no good never to use again and can the battery being dead cause the car not to run? i had nothing hooked up no radio nothing hooked up to run just the engine let me know what to do

Yes the battery can be shot to the point of no return check the voltage should read 12.5 volts the altonator could be killing the battery heres how you check it old school style. check and charge your battery remeber 12.5 volts then want you get that put it in the car get the car running and pull off the negative cable if the car dies altonator shot or not hooked up right check the wires on the alt. if the car keeps runing the alts fine then its a bad connection. hope this helps let me know what you find.

Yes the battery can be shot to the point of no return check the voltage should read 12.5 volts the altonator could be killing the battery heres how you check it old school style. check and charge your battery remeber 12.5 volts then want you get that put it in the car get the car running and pull off the negative cable if the car dies altonator shot or not hooked up right check the wires on the alt. if the car keeps runing the alts fine then its a bad connection. hope this helps let me know what you find.

ya boy steveo

also if you get it in the car and get it runing theres another why to check it put the volt meter to the battery while the car is runing should read 14. somthing volts then the alt is good if not its bad or bad connection on somthing

ok kool thanks that is what i needed to hear can i test the battery out the car to see what the voltage is at and then put it in the car and see if it reads 14?

with the battery out of the car should read 12.5. with the battery in the car 12.5 with the car not runing. with the battery in the car 14. somthing with the car running that will tell you if your getting charge. if it stays a 12.5 with it runing or goes below then the alt. is bad also you can check it the other way like i said before. go try this and let me know. hope it helps .

ya boy steveo

ok kool the battery is on the battery tender as we speak so tomorrow after work i will test it out the car then put it in and see what she reads

All right let me know :D . Im glad to here that you got your gas problem fixed. Man if i was you i would beat the person who did that to you to a bloody pulp. Thats freakin wrong man that they would do that to someone. But thats aswome you found out what it was.

ya boy steveo

ok i put the battery in and started the car and i did a test on the battery it was running and it was reading 12.65 and i know that is low it should be at 14 right? i took the battery off and it did not stay running so how can i test the altenator with out taking it off? can i start the engine and put the multi meter and see if it reads or am i better off taking it to the shop and see what happens?

if the volt meter is reading 12.65 with the car running the you altonator is shot man. do this for me take and get the car running and check the voltage then take and when the car dies check the voltage if it changes then its you alt. let me know

ya boy steveo

:werd: sounds like your alternator is shot.

Did you/someone mess with the harness or is it just the alternator?

I would just get a new one but that's me. Unless you fiddled with the harness I would advise to get a new one.

My d series alternator is still holding up fine.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Apr 23 2005, 09:53 AM
:werd: sounds like your alternator is shot.

Did you/someone mess with the harness or is it just the alternator?

I would just get a new one but that's me. Unless you fiddled with the harness I would advise to get a new one.

My d series alternator is still holding up fine.
[post=490503]Quoted post[/post]​

man i don't know how the hell you got a d series in there, anyway i took the alt to the shop for them to read it and it was reading at 13.9 and i know that the norm is 14.2 so it is not off that badly i don't think it is shot i think my wiring harness is just so chopped and messed up i ordered an ex harness so it is even wired for vtec and it has the two wire iacv so i will see what happens now, i was told to run a good wire from the top of the alt to the fuse box to see how it holds up what do you think?

couldn't heart. that will help you know if the wiring is bad just make sure its connected good. and also you take out your battery before you do this.

ya boy steveo

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 24 2005, 06:43 AM
couldn't heart. that will help you know if the wiring is bad just make sure its connected good. and also you take out your battery before you do this.

ya boy steveo
[post=490751]Quoted post[/post]​

You could always run a larger wire from the alternator to the fusebox, and bypass the whole wiring harness.

Back