Problem thread. Problems you overcame.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I don't know everything, and neither do you. :)

List a problem that you had with your H22 swap that was a real bitch, and how you overcame that problem.

IE: Powersteering issues, ECU wiring, knock sensor, distributor problem, vacuum routes.........Whatever gave you more than a few minutes of grief.:dry:

I'd like to make up some sort of FAQ or basic problem list. Please list year, model, and DX,LX,SI, whatever.

If you swap an H22 into an H23 prelude you need a new down pipe. Most people dont JUST swap the down pipe, they will by an entire header. When you reinstall the header, some repair manuals (Chiltons) will say that you need to torque the manifold to 43 ft/lbs.....THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG. It is actually 23 ft/lbs. I broke three studs for the manifold torqing to 43.....

Also chiltons will say that you need to torque the cat bolts to 40 ft lbs...thats supposed to say 20 ft lbs. just thought id let yall know. The down pipe/header bolts are correct at 40 ft/lbs.

Distributor wiring was interesting, but nothing that took too long.

gallery_8497_1_1094086470.jpg

You can rewire an external coil for an internal distributor like the picture shows, or, you can wire it like the edit shows, or you can cut the yellow/black wire and straight splice it into the yellow one on the dizzy.

I havent overcome the knock, but i think im just gonna give up and have my car turned with hondata.

that's the hand of god right there!!!

j/k, I agree with splicing the wires together on the dizzy side. That makes the wiring plug and play if you swap to another car.

When I did that splice up above, I was just making a temporary connection to get spark, since no one had ever shown me how. That temporary fix stayed in place for a good year and a half........Changed now.

what spark plugs/gaps are yall using in your H22...that might also be a reason for my knock (btw, i didnt get to work on my car this weekend :cry:)

Quoted post[/post]]
what spark plugs/gaps are yall using in your H22...that might also be a reason for my knock (btw, i didnt get to work on my car this weekend :cry:)

I'm using Iridiums. I've tried stock, V-groove(they burn up quick), Bosch Platinum, and the current plugs. I didn't notice any difference in Knock, or in how the car runs. The Iridiums might be slightly better, or last longer, so I went with them.

They are $15-20 a piece at the parts store, or through Honda. I bought a set on Ebay, for around $35-40 shipped. Worth the wait.

well i was asking cause we have higher compression H22s than the USDM version, i dont know if i should go colder or hotter to get the right plugs...

Quoted post[/post]]
well i was asking cause we have higher compression H22s than the USDM version, i dont know if i should go colder or hotter to get the right plugs...

I'd go with the same range unless you aren't burning properly at the stock gap.

I still have a little prob when Im driving down the street and I put it in neutral the rpms go all the way down almost turning off my car every single time it does this help please no answer yet

I'd have a shop look at it unless you have some codes. It's probably a malfunctioning sensor, IAC, vacuum leak, or some weird fuel issue. So pretty much it could be anything. :shrug2:

Please start a thread on this. I'd like this thread to be for swap related problems that have already been solved. Like a guide to problem solving certain issues, from more perspectives than just my own. 50 brains are better than one.

Back