Problem while putting timing belt on. Cam alignment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
I am putting together an h22. I converted over to the manual tentioner. Now here is/are the issue/s.

When I align the two little marks the intake cam feels like it wants to move. When I put the timing belt on, by the time everything is good, the intake cam rotates about a tooth down and the two lines are no longer aligned. I was looking in my helms and it said to do place it in the order of crank>waterpump>exhuast>intake. That keeps it from rotating, but I can't get the timing belt on the last gear because it seems like its inbetween 2 teeth.

I know in some engines there are locks for the cams. Is there such things as that on the H22?

Next question is, is the key on the crankshaft and the alignment arrow above, the TDC mark? (and those that I know will answer check your flywheel, this is just a longblock without a flywheel on it. )

done a few timing belts and if i am remembering the h22 correctly there is up on both cams and then the TDC mark on the crank.......thats really all i got.

am i thinking of the right engine....i was kinda drunk when i put the timing belt on my car (and still am...ill check the manual tomorrow and see if my chiltons has any more information).

well here is the new issue.

well here is the problem now. Timing belt is on and the cams are at TDC, however for the crankshaft, the gear is half a tooth off from the TDC mark (meaning the pointer on the block is pointing to the "vally" of the tooth) I have disassembled and assembled twice and both times it ends up like this. Since the flywheel isn't on, I can't check the TDC that way. Is there a TDC mark on the flywheel side of the crank? The pin that flywheel goes on is pointed to a casting mark, however its at like 2 oclock or something like that, you would think it would line up at noon or something like that.

I did try the extention method in cyl number one, and the extention was at the max for like a tooth or so from either direction from the TDC pointer mark.

So basicly what I am saying is, the timing belt WILL NOT go on with everything perfectly lined up at TDC. I did rotate everything several times and everything went smoothly so no valve issues right now.

this issue sounds SOOO familiar....i just cannot remember for the life of me...the guy that helped me is with his mom (at the hospital) so i really cant call and ask...if i remember, ill call tomorrow and see if he can refresh my memory. I will say this...when you figure it out, youll be beating your head on the refrigerator.....i remember that i did.

alright, solved it. First make sure that all alignment tics on the cam gear are linear to each other (in 9 and 3 position on both cam gears) Next when you install the timing belt, hold the crank gear with your hand so it doesn't move.

I also used the order listed in the helms and held the crank gear at tdc but i cannot for the life of me get the belt onto the intake cam its just too damn tight. I have done this once before and i remember i used some sort of trick to do it but i forget what it was. Anyone know a good trick to get the belt over the intake cam? asmallsol what did you use?

Last edited:
Back