problem with 97 prelude to 95 honda swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scorpionzzzz

a friend of mine is dropped a 97 prelude (jdm h22a) into a 95 honda..everything is hooked up..but the car won't start..there is combustion..if he cranks it, it tries to turn over but it doesn't quite make it..could someone please know what the problem could possibly be..?

thanx

Air, fuel, compression, spark.

I'd check to see that you're getting adequate fuel delivery, and then check the spark plugs and/or distributor to make sure they're working right.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Aug 17 2004, 02:13 PM

I'd check to see that you're getting adequate fuel delivery, and then check the spark plugs and/or distributor to make sure they're working right.
[post=378091]Quoted post[/post]​

THANK YOU, I'm going to relay the message

Originally posted by scorpionzzzz+Aug 17 2004, 03:41 PM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Aug 17 2004, 02:13 PM

[post=378091]Quoted post[/post]​

THANK YOU, I'm going to relay the message
[post=378132]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry guys I'm new to this..and I'm really confused..There is fuel, there is spark and the distributor is working fine. However, it is still not starting. Next question, after reading some of the questions and answers on this site, I went and checked the ecm which as it turns out is a POA which doesn't have VTEC, where as the engine F22B1 is VTEC..so now I figure we have to change the ecm, since the 97 prelude is obd2 can we still use the p13 ecm or do we have to use the p5p ecm? and do we still have to switch pins a6 and a11?

There is a simple solution..sort of.

First things first:

1) You must be using the f22's engine harness attached to the prelude engine with

2) You must have an OBD-1 ecu - P13

So you have to remove the h22's harness and add the a) vtec solenoid plug, B) vtec pressure switch, c) extend the f22's oil pressure switch, d) knock sensor to the f22's harness (if you wanna make it pretty).

Next, get a set of obd-1 h22 injectors or rewire...

Now you either have the option of rewiring the f22's distributor plugs to match up with the crank switch on the the crank... or make it hell of easy and get an obd1 h22 distributor.

Be forewarned that if your engine had an external coil, you have to jump the external coil plug for a jdm internal coil distributor to work.

Only JDM distributors are internal coils. USDM and (maybe) EDM distributors are external coils.

Once you have that done it should be smooth sailing.

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Aug 19 2004, 09:58 PM
There is a simple solution..sort of.

First things first:

1) You must be using the f22's engine harness attached to the prelude engine with

2) You must have an OBD-1 ecu - P13

So you have to remove the h22's harness and add the a) vtec solenoid plug, B) vtec pressure switch, c) extend the f22's oil pressure switch, d) knock sensor to the f22's harness (if you wanna make it pretty).

Next, get a set of obd-1 h22 injectors or rewire...

Now you either have the option of rewiring the f22's distributor plugs to match up with the crank switch on the the crank... or make it hell of easy and get an obd1 h22 distributor.

Be forewarned that if your engine had an external coil, you have to jump the external coil plug for a jdm internal coil distributor to work.

Only JDM distributors are internal coils. USDM and (maybe) EDM distributors are external coils.

Once you have that done it should be smooth sailing.
[post=379436]Quoted post[/post]​

so the 1997 prelude h22a engine will work with a p13 ecu, I'm getting so many different answers. Some people say to use the p5p ecu..also could someone clarify this for me..is a POA ecu VTEC or not?

Originally posted by scorpionzzzz@Aug 19 2004, 08:58 AM

Sorry guys I'm new to this..and I'm really confused..There is fuel, there is spark and the distributor is working fine. However, it is still not starting. Next question, after reading some of the questions and answers on this site, I went and checked the ecm which as it turns out is a POA which doesn't have VTEC, where as the engine F22B1 is VTEC..so now I figure we have to change the ecm, since the 97 prelude is obd2 can we still use the p13 ecm or do we have to use the p5p ecm? and do we still have to switch pins a6 and a11?
[post=379077]Quoted post[/post]​

Air, Fuel, Compression, Spark.

If you're getting fuel and spark, then that engine would have to be royally screwed not to run. It may run shitty for whatever reason, but it should run. I'd double check, and get the right ECU in there.

Originally posted by tab+Aug 20 2004, 07:00 PM-->
scorpionzzzz
@Aug 19 2004, 08:58 AM

Sorry guys I'm new to this..and I'm really confused..There is fuel, there is spark and the distributor is working fine.  However, it is still not starting.  Next question, after reading some of the questions and answers on this site, I went and checked the ecm which as it turns out is a POA which doesn't have VTEC, where as the engine F22B1 is VTEC..so now I figure we have to change the ecm, since the 97 prelude is obd2 can we still use the p13 ecm or do we have to use the p5p ecm? and do we still have to switch pins a6 and a11?
[post=379077]Quoted post[/post]​

Air, Fuel, Compression, Spark.

If you're getting fuel and spark, then that engine would have to be royally screwed not to run. It may run shitty for whatever reason, but it should run. I'd double check, and get the right ECU in there.
[post=379877]Quoted post[/post]​

The p13 is in now..and still the car won't start, everything is hooked up..and still the car won't start..the iab sensor is hooked up..the ks sensor is hooked up a6 and a11 are switched..does anyone have or know where I can look for a pinout diagram of a p13..or a schematic diagram of a h22a..please and thank you

The p13 is in now..and still the car won't start, everything is hooked up..and still the car won't start..the iab sensor is hooked up..the ks sensor is hooked up a6 and a11 are switched..does anyone have or know where I can look for a pinout diagram of a p13..or a schematic diagram of a h22a..please and thank you
[post=383625]Quoted post[/post]​

Which OBD did you land on, and how did you convert? Is the engine still OBD 1?

I'm confused. :shrug2:

ya im confused as to what obd the motor is as well. what exactly have you done to convert from one obd to the other and which obd are u trying to use? also if you have to get a us model distributor with than external ciol you can use it just buy an MSD out of coil cap and a blaster ss coil. it works i have it in my carr cause thats what i had to do. other than that clarify what exactly you have done as far as obd's go and we can have aloty better chance of guiding you in the right direction

Originally posted by driver1@Aug 30 2004, 08:29 PM
ya im confused as to what obd the motor is as well. what exactly have you done to convert from one obd to the other and which obd are u trying to use? also if you have to get a us model distributor with than external ciol you can use it just buy an MSD out of coil cap and a blaster ss coil. it works i have it in my carr cause thats what i had to do. other than that clarify what exactly you have done as far as obd's go and we can have aloty better chance of guiding you in the right direction
[post=383986]Quoted post[/post]​

the engine is obd2, the harness is obd1, the ecu is obd1 does the distributor also have to be obd1 or does it matter?

Originally posted by scorpionzzzz+Sep 1 2004, 11:22 AM-->
@Aug 30 2004, 08:29 PM
[post=383986]Quoted post[/post]​

the engine is obd2, the harness is obd1, the ecu is obd1 does the distributor also have to be obd1 or does it matter?
[post=384718]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry, the distributor is internal coil..

Back