1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with 97 prelude to 95 honda swap

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> BA-BB /CA-CD' started by scorpionzzzz, Aug 17, 2004.

1. scorpionzzzz

scorpionzzzz Junior Member

a friend of mine is dropped a 97 prelude (jdm h22a) into a 95 honda..everything is hooked up..but the car won't start..there is combustion..if he cranks it, it tries to turn over but it doesn't quite make it..could someone please know what the problem could possibly be..?

thanx

2. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Air, fuel, compression, spark.

I'd check to see that you're getting adequate fuel delivery, and then check the spark plugs and/or distributor to make sure they're working right.

3. scorpionzzzz

THANK YOU, I'm going to relay the message

4. scorpionzzzz

Sorry guys I'm new to this..and I'm really confused..There is fuel, there is spark and the distributor is working fine. However, it is still not starting. Next question, after reading some of the questions and answers on this site, I went and checked the ecm which as it turns out is a POA which doesn't have VTEC, where as the engine F22B1 is VTEC..so now I figure we have to change the ecm, since the 97 prelude is obd2 can we still use the p13 ecm or do we have to use the p5p ecm? and do we still have to switch pins a6 and a11?

5. sleepn_accord

sleepn_accord Senior Member

There is a simple solution..sort of.

First things first:

1) You must be using the f22's engine harness attached to the prelude engine with

2) You must have an OBD-1 ecu - P13

So you have to remove the h22's harness and add the a) vtec solenoid plug, B) vtec pressure switch, c) extend the f22's oil pressure switch, d) knock sensor to the f22's harness (if you wanna make it pretty).

Next, get a set of obd-1 h22 injectors or rewire...

Now you either have the option of rewiring the f22's distributor plugs to match up with the crank switch on the the crank... or make it hell of easy and get an obd1 h22 distributor.

Be forewarned that if your engine had an external coil, you have to jump the external coil plug for a jdm internal coil distributor to work.

Only JDM distributors are internal coils. USDM and (maybe) EDM distributors are external coils.

Once you have that done it should be smooth sailing.

6. scorpionzzzz

so the 1997 prelude h22a engine will work with a p13 ecu, I'm getting so many different answers. Some people say to use the p5p ecu..also could someone clarify this for me..is a POA ecu VTEC or not?

7. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

Your only two options for an unmodified ECU are a P13 or a P72. You can use any other ECU, but it will require modification (chipping, etc.)

Check out our list: http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29826 However, the P0A is VTEC, contrary to what the list says. Regardless, you will not be able to use that ECU unless it gets modified.

8. tab

tab Super Moderator

Air, Fuel, Compression, Spark.

If you're getting fuel and spark, then that engine would have to be royally screwed not to run. It may run shitty for whatever reason, but it should run. I'd double check, and get the right ECU in there.

9. scorpionzzzz

The p13 is in now..and still the car won't start, everything is hooked up..and still the car won't start..the iab sensor is hooked up..the ks sensor is hooked up a6 and a11 are switched..does anyone have or know where I can look for a pinout diagram of a p13..or a schematic diagram of a h22a..please and thank you

10. tab

tab Super Moderator

Which OBD did you land on, and how did you convert? Is the engine still OBD 1?

I'm confused. :shrug:

11. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

ya im confused as to what obd the motor is as well. what exactly have you done to convert from one obd to the other and which obd are u trying to use? also if you have to get a us model distributor with than external ciol you can use it just buy an MSD out of coil cap and a blaster ss coil. it works i have it in my carr cause thats what i had to do. other than that clarify what exactly you have done as far as obd's go and we can have aloty better chance of guiding you in the right direction

12. scorpionzzzz

the engine is obd2, the harness is obd1, the ecu is obd1 does the distributor also have to be obd1 or does it matter?

13. scorpionzzzz

sorry, the distributor is internal coil..

14. scorpionzzzz

IT WORKS!!!..ONE LITTLE DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM..BUT OK NOW
    THANKS

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted