problem with my b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxsk8er

i have a problem with my b16 the ecu is throwing code 0 which is faulty ecu but its not on all the time when i start it and drive for and a min it will like loose all power for like a sec then the check engine light will come on and the code will show on the ecu and i cant rev past 3 grand and if im sitting at a light for a while the light will blink on and off and the motor will jump and almost stall out if i dont hit and gas after that the light will turn off....then turn back on when i drive for a min or so

i have tried to reset the ecu 5 times and unplugged it i tried a friends GOOD ecu and still the same problem im pretty sure it not the ecu......

Anyone have any suggestions about the problem??

it will help a lot if i could get this fixed......

Thanks for the time and help

-Chris-

Um....

Sounds like you're fucked, dude. lol...I dunno what to tell you.

Check your main relay, your fuses, and your wiring.

Originally posted by CRVTEC@Dec 8 2004, 01:50 AM
Um....

Sounds like you're fucked, dude. lol...I dunno what to tell you.

Check your main relay, your fuses, and your wiring.
[post=428065]Quoted post[/post]​

i have checked all fuses there all good

i could here the main relay tick everytime it happens but wouldnt the car not start if it was bad?

what wiring should i check?

thanks

what car what obd is the ecu what was doen for the swap ?give some details

Check whatever wiring you've messed with. You can't tell me that you did zero wiring and dropped in a B16.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 8 2004, 01:58 AM
what car what obd is the ecu what was doen for the swap ?give some details
[post=428075]Quoted post[/post]​

its a 91 crx si with a pr3 which is obd0 nothing done except vtec ran but it was running fine it just started out of no where

Originally posted by CRVTEC@Dec 8 2004, 02:00 AM
Check whatever wiring you've messed with. You can't tell me that you did zero wiring and dropped in a B16.
[post=428076]Quoted post[/post]​

i had a b16 in it first blew it got an ls them sold it and got another b16 but it was running fine it just started like 4 days ago it SUCKS

What ecu are you running. Everytime you reset your ecu it takes a minute for it to kick back in. If it's throwing code 0 try a new ecu. It could be a number of sensors but those would throw some codes.

Originally posted by 93cxhatch@Dec 8 2004, 03:40 AM
What ecu are you running. Everytime you reset your ecu it takes a minute for it to kick back in. If it's throwing code 0 try a new ecu. It could be a number of sensors but those would throw some codes.
[post=428140]Quoted post[/post]​

im running a pr3 and i have tried reseting it 5 time already and i tried a friends work ecu....still have the same problem

'anyone think it could be a bad dizzy or god bad?

check the vacume lines. you probably have some wires crossed

what year is the b16?

remember that not all b16 motors are the same meaning obd 0-1
check you manual and double triple check everything its probably some thing dumb but it could be somethng bad....good luck

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy+Dec 8 2004, 04:23 PM-->
@Dec 8 2004, 11:12 AM
check the vacume lines. you probably have some wires crossed

what year is the b16?

remember that not all b16 motors are the same meaning obd 0-1
check you manual and double triple check everything its probably some thing dumb but it could be somethng bad....good luck
[post=428421]Quoted post[/post]​
:lol: the fact that he is using a obd-0 ecu and put it in a ef i would geuss its just a first GEN. jdm b16a if it were anything else im sure he would have typed b16a2 B16A3 or b16 sir II but since he just typed b16 im positive its a first gen... sounds like vacuum line to me ... what did you use for a diagram ???
[post=428692]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah but you never know with these kids the switch and change things and then ask

check the 10mm bolt that connects the ground strap for the ecu to the thermostat housing... if it is loose, i can almost garantee thats what is causing your issues

check your flash codes.. its most likely the CKP... mine just did that too me 2 days ago...

Yeah what TWAN said! A month ago I was driving around with my buddies and my car started studdering really bad and it would do it everyttime I hit a bumb. So I checked under my hood and I was moving the wires around the distributor area and the car would stall each time, so I new it was a bad connection. So the next day it wouldn't start, so I checked the ground at the thermostat and there it was, the bolt was tight but the wire was loose and was barely makeing a connection. DEFINETLY and good possiblity that, that is it. After that check over ALL of your grounds!

1) check bolt Twan mentioned
2) check dizzy
3) check timing

but what i'm betting it is: your DISTRIBUTOR. i had this happen and had to drive 600 miles with that bish only revving to 3k... going 60 all the way home sucks....

got home, cap rotor and everything KAPUTZ. take that cap off and check it. let me know what you see...

i found the problem i disconnected the 2nd o2 sensor and was checking the wires that i ran the the ecu for the knock and the o2 sensor turns out that they were switched around...(i used speaker wire so i only had to run it once not twice and got the silver and gold colors mixed up

So that problem is fixed thanks for all the reply and suggestions

i have one more question my tach is off it revs out at 7500 and somtimes it will stick then bounce up to 10 grand like its twitching or something...anyone kno what it might be i kno that the tach is good because i just had it in when i have my LS and it worked perfect......im thinking it might be something in my dizzy going bad.....

Anyone have an idea?

thanks again for the help

i had this happen in my rex and it turned out to be the tach itself b/c the guy i bout the gauges from removed needle when he installed glow gauges.

check to make sure all the plugs and wires inside the distributor are plugged in and screwed on properly... on one i was using it did that, and it turned out one of the plugs was not in all the way, and the ground wire wasn't screwed in.

check it!

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Dec 10 2004, 01:23 PM
check to make sure all the plugs and wires inside the distributor are plugged in and screwed on properly... on one i was using it did that, and it turned out one of the plugs was not in all the way, and the ground wire wasn't screwed in.

check it!
[post=430066]Quoted post[/post]​

You can not use a distrubutor that does not match the ECU's OBD they both have to be the same OBD. The cylinder position sensor are different and make sure the dizzy is in the right position and lined up so timming is not way off or real retarded.

your going into "limp home" mode. somethings not right...
being 1 tooth off, the engine will barely run,my belt slipped one time, you had to floor, to get it to rev to 2000, and it was pouring black smoke out the exhaust, and sputtering. luckily I didnt throw a valve into the piston. I was in the middle of the highway and it crapped out on me, so I wasnt too worried about screwing anything up, i just wanted to get my ass off road....
check to see that all of your sensors are connected.

Back