Problem with my son's Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Calesta+Sep 8 2004, 11:58 AM-->
randerson165
@Sep 8 2004, 10:31 AM
What about the starter getting hot ? If the starter gets hot and expands, the thing can't turn !!! That would be my hunch...
[post=387421]Quoted post[/post]​

Wha? That's a TON of expansion... I seriously doubt that would happen.
[post=387464]Quoted post[/post]​

That has happened on cars that I have owned in the past !! It happens alot on boats too !!!

Guys...
I checked the relay really close last night and I dont see the condition described in the tech article. Anyway, I do think that the relay IS the problem. I called the dealer and a new relay is only $53. Now, like I've said, I'm "old school" insofar that I prefer REBUILDING bad alternaters, starters, et al as opposed to just replacing them. In this case however, I think replacing the relay is the way to go.

Discuss... :)

I've had people tell me to try and repair the relay, but the best course of action is to just replace it if it's bad. I pulled mine apart to try and see what was going on too- I couldn't see a thing. I bought a new one at Van's (don't know if you have those) for $50ish and the car worked great after that.

If you have time to rebuild it, go for it- hopefully that will fix your problem. Good luck.

There's a guy on ebay that sells them repaired for like 29 bucks. I got one a couple weeks ago and have't had a problem yet. I didn't need to send him a core and the welds were much thicker than on my original one :shrug2:

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 9 2004, 08:30 AM
I've had people tell me to try and repair the relay, but the best course of action is to just replace it if it's bad. I pulled mine apart to try and see what was going on too- I couldn't see a thing. I bought a new one at Van's (don't know if you have those) for $50ish and the car worked great after that.

If you have time to rebuild it, go for it- hopefully that will fix your problem. Good luck.
[post=387867]Quoted post[/post]​

That was my reasoning as well, Calesta. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes...

Hey i just had a thought about this, if this defect with the OEM part, wouldn't replacing it possibly lead to the same problem down the road? Is there possibly another manufacture that makes these, or did honda we work them? Maybe there is something you could do in advance to help prevent it, I don't know much about this, but it may or may not be something to think about

Originally posted by Bl6CRX@Sep 9 2004, 12:51 PM
Hey i just had a thought about this, if this defect with the OEM part, wouldn't replacing it possibly lead to the same problem down the road?  Is there possibly another manufacture that makes these, or did honda we work them?  Maybe there is something you could do in advance to help prevent it, I don't know much about this, but it may or may not be something to think about
[post=387917]Quoted post[/post]​

I plan on doing a bit a research on that very subject before I replaced it with an OEM part. I would like to think that Honda is aware of the problem and got it staightend out with the manufacturer but I'm not going to take anything for granted.
Good thought though...

sadly i dont think this issue has been resolved, nor do i think it ever will be....its a relay...the mechanics of a relay make it prone to fail. horn relay? turn signals? on every make and model of cars its always the same problem with relays....they fail. the only other solution is some kind of solid state circuit based relay....but that doesnt make automotive manufactures and auto parts stores money. who wants to build a part that doesnt fail?

***UPDATE**

Got the new relay installed last night and that did the trick! BTW, the new relay IS different at least in the size/shape of it so I dont know if there any internal differences of not, but I would venture a guess that changes/improvements were made.

Anyway, thanks to all that took the time to respond. I couldn't have done it without you! :worthy:

Same problem, just wanted to say thanks for the link. Had to walk a couple miles home today cause my car wouldnt start. Got a ride back to the car about 5 hours later and it started right up. Talk about mad. Had been having the same problem so im 99% sure this is the fix. Ive had it to the dealer for the problem and they were clueless, thought i was full of it. :) You guys are great, thanks again.

Originally posted by KrAzKrEg@Jul 18 2005, 09:53 PM
Same problem, just wanted to say thanks for the link. Had to walk a couple miles home today cause my car wouldnt start. Got a ride back to the car about 5 hours later and it started right up. Talk about mad. Had been having the same problem so im 99% sure this is the fix. Ive had it to the dealer for the problem and they were clueless, thought i was full of it. :) You guys are great, thanks again.
[post=528240]Quoted post[/post]​

my mechanic friend thought I was full of it too but now I know why and I can sound smart to him hahahah! reading prevails!!

i love reading threads that have a good ending. props to all the knowledgeable HS members who solve problems and help the DIYer's. :thumbsup:

Back