Problems After Valvetrain Swap (long Version)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18C_EJ8

Hello again HondaSwap community! I have another problem that I need advice with....

Installed my Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, and Skunk2 valves and springs this weekend... The mechanical part of it went very smooth, and the install was seemingly straight-forward until we started it, and found that the number 1 cylinder was missing. So, we began to troubleshoot...

Here are the symptoms: Rough idle (rougher than it should be with stage 2 cams), severe shake because it's idling at like 300rpm, and the engine dies after a little while, as if it's run out of gas. This happens worse when the engine is warm, but seems to run fine and idle normally when it's cold. (Idles right around 1k).

We originally advanced the timing on the cam gear side 2 degrees, and advanced the timing on the distributor as far as it would go... Smoothed out mid to high revs, but did nothing for idle.

We checked the plug wires, and determined that the #1 plug wire was cracked, and the spark was arcing to the head. Changed the wires, and problem got a little better, but not much. Idle was a little more stable.

We then checked the injectors, and they click normally, and spray seemingly normally when out of the head... We switched the #1 and #2 injectors, to see if the problem would switch to the #2 cylinder, but no luck there... #1 still seemed dead...

Called upon the assistance of a 4 year Honda Dealership mechanic, and played around for a few hours, re-timing and adjusting and what not, and he's at a loss... The only thing he could suggest was maybe there was a wiring problem going to the #1 injector. He suggested that we check a sensor in the distributor, that tells the ECU that the #1 is at TDC, then the ECU fires the injector... He seems to think that the injector is firing, but not at the right time...

We also did a compression test, and the #1 cylinder was 190psi...

I'm at a total loss, and since this is my daily driver, I need to fix this as soon as humanly possible... ANY suggestions would be appreciated... I'm also available on AIM at B18CEJ8 if you need any information from me to make a "diagnosis"... THANKS!!!

are you sure the ignition timing is correct? maybe your timing belt is a tooth off?

Back