problems painting my rims

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Underage

i sanded down my rims (off a 97 hx) because they were chipped and the paint had started to bubble some places. when i sanded them, it went down to bare metal some places. i tried spraying them, but the places around where the bare metal is the paint just seperates (almost immediately after contact), and pushes away from spots on the wheel. these spots are only about a pinhead in size, but there's a lot of them. i can't get them to go away. :angry: so my question is, how do i get rid of them?

here's how i cleaned them and prepared them:
1. cleaned with degreaser
2. sanded with 320 grit
3. wiped down with cleaning solvent that says it removes sanding residue
4. sprayed paint

after the bubbles formed i removed the paint that i sprayed on, and sanded again with rougher sandpaper in hopes of removing more lose stuff, if any remained. this didn't help the problem. i am using dupli-color wheel paint, if that helps. thanks for reading.

any spraypainted rim is gona end up chipping off neways. you might as well pay to have them professionally powdercoated.. but if u cant afford that try using some sort of primer basecoat b4 u spray them.

yeah, to to les schwab, they bowdercoat fairly cheaply. but you need to prime, ESPECIALLY bare metal.

primer = good base for paint on bare metal.

regardless, you should prime before you paint any prepared metal surface.

wash it with water and soap and then rinse with water agian and dry to get that cleaning solvent off the rims before you paint. the solvent that are using may be having a reaction to the paint.

the pin holes are refered to as fish eyes...
too much oil or residue on the rims...
you can't touch them with your hands AT ALL after the prep cause the oil on your hands will fuck your paint...
get some real heavy thick primer and some eazy klean or something and make sure you wipe them down real well with the solvent before trying to prime them again... thinnner should work to clean them of oil as well...

make sure the rims are dry. Any water in those pin holes and your done for.

also apply more lighter coats than a couple heavy coats, this will help prevent the fish eyes and keep it from running

you have to use what ias called etchprime. made specificaly for bare metal. any good auto paint supllier will have it in multiple sizes. must be used on bare metal before paint. Its epoxy based and seals the metal. go get some an stop fucking around! j/k hope this help. oh yeah, its not that expensive!

yeah, i tried really light coats of primer, and it works a lot better. i was putting it on too heavy. thanks for the help.

Back