Problems Starting(Occasionally)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lately I've been having problems starting my car. I've got a 89 CRX Si with a DOHC ZC. The problem I've been having is that when I turn the key all the way, it doesn't crank. I have electricity and everything works, but the car won't start.

This started recently(like within the last few weeks) and has been occuring more and more often. Also, it happens randomly. It'll start right up sometimes, and others, it'll just do nothing. Usually when nothing happens, I leave the key turned to the second position so the electricity is running for a couple of minutes and randomly try starting it until it will just finally start up like nothing is wrong.

I'm assuming that it is probably the starter going bad, but I wanted to ask your guys opinion and see if any of you have had this occur before, instead of taking it somewhere and being charged for it to be looked at. Any ideas or similar experiences?

it's likely the starter. they see a little bit of summer heat and start their journey to the afterlife. not uncommon for this to happen in the summer months. another summer problem is the main relay, but that no-start condition would result in the motor cranking, but not actually firing up. yours has nothing to do with the main relay however, it only controls power to the fuel pump, not the starter.

when it dont start does it click if not it could be the egnition switch it would do the same thing but no click:confused:

It does: one click, then nothing.

To update though, took it to Firestone to get a new starter and oil change, and my mom insisted on just having them run an electrical diagnostics test. So afterwards they said they don't think its the starter but the alternator. Their reasoning for this is that when they put a load on the alternator it wouldn't send much power to the battery so the battery would get low. What I dont understand about that is if it's the alternator and it wasnt charging my battery a lot of the time, then wouldn't the battery just eventually die and I wouldn't have any power when I turn the key? I don't know. I think I'm just going to get a new starter and see how that helps cause I think thats it.

You can get just a starter solenoid. It should be around $10-$15 and that's what it sounds like your problem is. Unless the starter makes grinding or clunking noises when you try to start it, the motor is fine. Solenoids go bad all the time, and are relatively easy to replace.

Back