Problems Timing (h23 to h22)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hillmw

the commish (h23 to h22)
I've been working on this swap and trying to get it timed.

Here are some details about the swap and what I have used:

H22 engine/trans
H23 fuel rail
H23 distributor & coil
H23 harness
H22 ecu

I am not getting the timing mark coming around into view. I even went through the timing window and marked in "white" next to the "red" mark so it would be more visible with the timing light.

I have the timing light plugged into No 1 dist cap and the IAC connector disconnected, with the trans in 'Neutral' and the rpm about 750. Also have the jumper wire in the service connector.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
stock flywheel?

if the service connector is actually jumped, really all i can think of is the flywheel is jacked or the timing on the cam side is off...did you have any problems aligning the crank pully and the cam gears?

I didn't do any aligning and AFAIK the flywheel is stock as well (remember that it is a JDM). Maybe I just "think" that the service connector is jumped.

I am assuming that I disconnect the IAC during the idle, but that I plug it back in during the timing.

Also, since I no longer have the "check eng" light coming on (praise the lord) how do I make sure the "service connector" is jumped?

pull the iat (sensor on the drivers side of the intake) and itll make the cel come on....if the cel starts blinking when you start the car, you know what it is. just plug it back in and restart the car. Also, make sure its at opperating temp.

ive never had to pull my iac while timing my car. the idle shouldnt fluctuate that much.

the service connector has nothing to do with the problem. the only reason the connector is jumped is so the ecu wont correct itself while making changes on the dizzy.

what kind of timing gun is this? digital or just regular?

and yea, you shouldnt need to pull your iat sensor off.

if you cannot set the timing with the gun, then there is an alternative way that is fairly correct.

to set timing back to stock(15 degree), loosen up all screws holding the distributor down, and center the distributor on all mounting points. that should set it back close enough to 15 degree.

Timing light is a regular stobe light. I haven't used it in years but the strobe is blinking fine I'm thinking it should be good.

I can't see the marks in the window!! I even put some a small stroke of white paint by the line to help see it, but I'm not seeing it. I had to time it by feel.

how did you make the mark? did you set the engine at TDC and then mark it? That would only be marking for TDC, not 15 degrees. the only way to mark for 15 degrees is to take off the flywheel and then find it on there.

but yea, when i did my swap, i installed an aftermarket flywheel, which didnt have any timing marks at all. I didnt even think of checking until the engine was in the car already. well, I just did what I explained in my last post.

I advanced the flywheel around by turning the starter with the coil wire off until I saw the markings. I saw the "red" mark as described in my manual. I just applied a bit of white paint near the "red" mark using a very small brush through the timing window.

I even attempted to time it at night so it would be seen better. I made sure I had the timing light connected to #1 spark wire.

May have to break down and get another timing light. Only other thing I can think of.

i told him to pull of his iat so his cel would turn on (verifying if the service connector is jumped). he wasnt supposed to leave it disconnected.

If the service connector is not jumped, the only mark youll see is the tdc mark (or that should be the only one you see).

You'll still see the marks without the service connector jumped, but the timing will move around, and adjust itself as it is supposed to. You also wouldn't be able to truly adjust the timing since the ECU would compensate for changes.

weird, cause when i dont jump the service connector, i see the tdc mark right at the end of the arrow.

It doesn't matter, because that is the effective timing, not the set point.

Back