Problems with auto to manual swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shawn03

PICTURES INCLUDED!

We swapped out the factory automatic transmission from our 97 honda civic hx and replaced it with a manual 98 civic hatchback transmission.

When we finnished we took it out for a test drive. Everything was working great. Slipping the clutch and eveything as smooth as possible. after about the fifth stop and go the problems began. I started slipping the clutch as normal then once in gear I gave a little more gas, nothing crazy, and it poped out of gear. Or so i though.

I tried putting it back in gear and there was nothing. None of the gears made a difference. The car wasn't going to go anywhere. When the clutch was out, in any gear and in neutral, the trans would make a rubbing grinding noise when depressed it would stop.

When we took it apart we noticed that the passenger side axle seemed to be out of the trans and some oil had come out. When we took the axle out we saw that the tip of the splines were ground of while the rest was ok.

What happened? What is the solution?
Any help would be great. Thanks.
PICS

n184602487_30079906_1912.jpg
url]
url]

n184602487_30079907_3088.jpg

Either you didn't put the axle in all the way or you got the wrong axle and it's just too short. Sometimes the axles feel like they are all the way in and won't budge any more but you can only tell if you look right where it meets the tranny to see how far off you are. The second reason is self explanatory. What axles did you get?

We used the hx auto axles because we were told that they would work fine.

Is that axle shot? What is the point of that little extra splined part? ABS?

Thanks

Quoted post[/post]]

Thanks
try using the axles from a 5spd. those splines at the tip are supposed to be there. the ABS axles have a ring with teeth near the cv boot. The axles from a 5 spd DX should work perfect.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Thanks
try using the axles from a 5spd. those splines at the tip are supposed to be there. the ABS axles have a ring with teeth near the cv boot. The axles from a 5 spd DX should work perfect.

We thought the same thing but according to advanced these axles have the same part number. Axles for a 97hx auto or manual, regular dx, and even del sol are the same. We even had them look up multiple years before and after 97. Is that right?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Thanks

We thought the same thing but according to advanced these axles have the same part number. Axles for a 97hx auto or manual, regular dx, and even del sol are the same. We even had them look up multiple years before and after 97. Is that right?
advanced is a branch off of autozone and I used to work at autozone and I know for a fact some of their part #'s are wrong. Especially for parts for a Del Sol and 92-00 Civics. For example, they have the same part # for the distributor for the 92-95 EX and the 94-95 Del Sol w/ a B16. We all know that can't be right. Try calling up Honda and get part #'s for the 5 spd and auto axles to see if they are infact different.

Back