Problems with H23 motor 92 lude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jason-K

Hey whats up Im Jason, Im pretty new at imports and stuff but I've always like them, I have a 92 Prelude si h23 and it has a lot of miles (195k) and the I will start the motor and it will start up and then after about 2-3 minutes it will bog down to about 600 rpms and then it will go back up to 1200 rpms and it will do this every couple of seconds.

Then after that goes on for a couple of minutes it will stop. My friend Nick also has a Prelude and he said that his Lude did the same thing and what the problem most likely was is the Bypass valve like the sensor could be dirty or something???

Also when I first start it up it will idle at 2000k for a while, is that normal?

It is blowing white smoke out the exhaust so what do you think is wrong with it? I know it could be a cracked head gasket and worn rings but is there a possibility that it could be something else? (How could I check if the head gasket is cracked?)

And if the case is that it may even be head damage, would I be better off going with an h22 head vtec? And if so How hard is that swap and what is all required?

Finally, If I were to rebuild the motor, what would be the minimum things I could replace to have it run better? Rings, Gaskets, Bearings etc...

Sorry about all the questions, I have used the search buttons and found alot of helpful threads on the vtec swap and stuff, but I would like to have my own thread on this because I didnt find anything about my problem with my lude like the bypass or anything.

Thanks alot
-Jason

the bog could be vacum, it could be the egr valve. my egr valve was bad and it did the same, but i also have had valcum problems too, and did the samthing. i have a 92 si but i blow it up, and put in a h22a vtec, its not that hard to do just put it in and go. i got mine from jazzproparts.com i got it for $1200 but thats just the long block. thats all you should need though. but if you wont a h22a trans jazzpro as it to. hope that helps dude...

Thats what I wanted to do was go h22 head vtec, what is all involved and needed and what is the process in doing that? Is it hard?

idle problems ? like guy up top said egr valve or vacuum . most likely egr valve i had alot of problems in my friends car

these are the parts needed for the h22 head conversion.

1. VTEC head, complete: cams, gears, rockers, valve cover.
2. VTEC timing belt- VTEC has more teeth on the belt than the Si does.
3. VTEC water pump.
4. VTEC auto hydraulic tensioner for timing belt.
5. VTEC manual tensioner.
6. VTEC head gasket.
7. VTEC lower, most inner crankshaft pulley; ('96 is different due to sensors!!!).
8. VTEC intake manifold ('96, throttle body has sensors which you need to use).
9. VTEC exhaust manifold - i couldnt find a used downpipe, dealer was $621, so i bought DC Headers-VTEC.
10. VTEC ECU/ECM.
11. VTEC spark plugs and wires.
12. VTEC water pump pipe (black pipe that runs behind the head from the water pump to thermostat housing.
13. VTEC injectors - if you don't change these over, then once you plug in the ECU/ECM you will keep blowing the 'EAT ECU' fuse when you crank/start the car.
*DISTRIBUTOR was the same so it did not need to be changed - double checked part numbers.
*VTEC controller - not required but could be used if you dont buy a new ECU/ECM and have a way to bypass your redline.

you will also need to remove an oil control orifice from the block, and wire vtec. other than that it's pretty straight foreward. mine's in the process right now..... gonna write it up when it's finished.

I found the idle problem, the line that connects to my brake booster is fine but the the brake booster is fucked, I will press the brakes hard and its the shittiest braking ever so I ordered a new brake booster and master cylinder, and caliper because one was leaking, I was gonna rebuild it but I didnt want to go buy a spring compressor and snap ring pliers, but Do you know what order to bleed the brakes in on a 92 prelude si? I believe it has abs because it is an si?

this is for stlpsycho138 vbmenu_register("postmenu_728981", true); why buy all that you would be better of buying a h22 long block and swap it all over. i bought me h22 long block for $1200 from jazzproparts.com it will go right it. dont mess with puting a h22 head on a h23 block. but if u got money go ahead.....

i was just letting him know, since he asked and no one else was answering..... i wouldn't suggest it unless you have a h22 with a bad block, which i did, and is why i'm doing it..... i would suggest doing the whole swap also... it's probably just as easy.

i was just letting him know, since he asked and no one else was answering..... i wouldn't suggest it unless you have a h22 with a bad block, which i did, and is why i'm doing it..... i would suggest doing the whole swap also... it's probably just as easy.

its actually easier. and, i have only seen that idle issue cause by 2 parts. blocked or bad egr, or a blocked screen in your iacv...a bubble in your coolant will do it as well (as the iacv has coolant flowing through it).

Those are the 4 things to check. i will caution you though, the egr is a pain to pull off on H-series engines. I just ended up replacing mine with an h22.

i had several things go wrong with my old h23, so i decided to get a new motor, originally looking for the h22a i found out that it would be cheaper and more fun to get the h23a bluetop from the jdm accord that 220 horse vtec is a beast of a motor, and definately is worth the price...

eBay Motors: JDM HONDA PRELUDE ENGINE 2.3L 220HP VTEC BLUETOP - H23A (item 140074374566 end time Jan-23-07 08:41:07 PST)

definately get some kind of fuel management system (and the ECU!) and you will not be dissapointed, jdm makes a huge difference, before i did the swap i was losing to a hatch with a jdm d15b, this summer, the lude's gonna have woken up. i found this a little more fun than the head swap would have been

hi i have a h23 motor in my eg and when i drive it boog for a sec the it goes then couple sec laster it bogs again is my egr valve bad my vacom is good can some one help me

hi i have a h23 motor in my eg and when i drive it boog for a sec the it goes then couple sec laster it bogs again is my egr valve bad my vacom is good can some one help me

Start your own thread please...don't bring back dead ones...

Back