problems with idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tecdippin03

when i start my car it idles over 1 rpm and then idles at 2 after it warms up and then jumps up and down from 2 then 1 then 2 constantly...could the problem be the ground wire not hooked up or wat could tha problem be??

clean out or replace the IACV and the FITV on the intake manifold. Does your idle surge up to 2k then drop to 1k, then repeat that surging and dropping? If so, it's probably the things I mentioned.

Honda idles are pretty finicky... The only way the idle screw will work is if you have the IACV unplugged. If you try adjusting the idle with it plugged in, the ECU will compensate for the change. Here's what you need to do...

1. Start car and let it warm up.
2. Unplug the IACV (yes, you'll get a CEL)
** It might stall so be preparred to give it some gas...
3. Adjust idle set screw until car is idling at 650 rpm.
4. Turn car off.
5. Plug in IACV and reset ECU to get rid of CEL.
6. Start car and make sure idle is where it needs to be. Go back and repeat if necessary to get desired idle.
*** There are many factors that will not let this procedure work like it should... i.e. leaking gaskets, bad pcv valve, vacuum leaks, tps not properly calibrated, fitv issue, etc...

what year and what model car (engine) do you have? sounds like a FITV problem to me...

Back