Problems with my stock engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
This dumb site wouldn't allow me to post in the general tech section so here's my question.

I have a stock d15b7 and I just started having problems with it. It won't start at all without a jump, so I think I need a new battery for one. But then, when I get it started and rev it up, it sounds frickin WEAK as hell and my engine was KNOCKING before when I started it but for some reason that stopped. I recently put some 10W-30 pennzoil in it I don't know if that's the right oil but that's what a mechanic told me to use but I'm not sure. So, what kind of oil should I be using on a stock d15b7 (my bad I have a cold air intake, headers, and exhaust) with 60k miles? And could that be my problem?

dang you ave a a d16b7 with only 60,000 miles on it and it has already started knocking, thats not good it sounds like it has had iti would just swap out the motor. and i will only use castrol oil

This dumb site wouldn't allow me to post in the general tech section so here's my question.

dumb??.. hahaha.. you were probably trying to post in the General Tech Articles section that you cant post in.. so whos dumb now?
this is the correct general maintenance forum to post in : https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-maintenance/

as for oil.. you should run 5w30 and the knocking was probably because of no oil

Last edited:
Maybe you have a spun bearing causing the knock and hard starts..
basically your engine maybe toast.

OR simple electric problem like a fouled plug or bad distributor can casue hard starts and knocking..cause its missing a cylinder

Well I got it started and drove it half way to pepboys...lmao it was horrible. It's not really knocking it just sounds like GARBAGE I mean like a lawnmower and it had trouble just getting up to 40 mph, died at every red light, and well yea I got it towed the other half. The pros at Pepboys are taking care of my baby now :). Also I looked at my dipstick and the oil is like water..I dunno I'm just waiting for the call and diagnosis.

And I thought about waiting for a b16 swap...but I have no money I mean I have to get this thing fixed, registered, title transfer, insured (just got it insured I think) and my license. LOL been drivin like that

Last edited:
HI THERE.
Just for later knowledege,most of the time when you have white smoke, it means,water leak!!!!!!!! Also the reason your engine may have been sounding so terible (if you do have a water leak) is because your oil was thining out and not lubercateing as good. You may have some warped parts now, MORE THAN LIKELY.:( :( EG your head.
mr fix it

Last edited:
Alright well my car's gonna be ready in about an hour or 2 they said it was just the timing belt, which the owner told me needed to be replaced before I bought it but I forgot. LOL. But yea I don't know the best oil to use I just threw in some 10W-30 pennzoil.

Called pep's up at 6 turns out they gotta install a new waterpump and crankshaft seal, gotta wait til tomorrow to pick it up when the seal comes in :(. Brought the full price for the fix up to almost $600...but hey I bought an older honda with plans to pimp it out can't say I didn't expect it :D all's good tomorrowz.

Damn...I guess you can say I just got SCREWD. They told me today that there's another problem. A piston went out and a valve is bent but it's driveable with the repairs they made so I just took it home and decided to save the supposed "$1700" it would cost Pepboys to replace my engine. Bullshit. There was black smoke coming out of my exhaust and white smoke when I got home. Could I just buy a d15b SOHC VTEC block from here: http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30021 and swap it into my d15b7 non-vtec garbage there cuz the motor means it comes with pistons and everything right?

Last edited:
i told you pep boys sucks LMAO
if the timing belt breaks in a honda the motor is almost deffinetly fucked up on the internals no if ands or buts always happens
any good auto tech would know that right off the ripp they just f-ked you so hard
all they do at pep boys and places like that is change parts

?? it wont start it must be the starter !!! hey it still wont start well maybe it's the battery !!! by the time there done you've spent two grand and your car its still fucked up because the shit that they did is all hacked in and when it breaks again you'll never get the bolts out cause everything is cross threaded and over torked air tools on everything !!
lol my budy work for one he seen this dude there use a impact to tighten a head down LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway have fun with them ~ they'l fix you up good

P.S. the next time you need your car fixed for something come talk to the pro's first we'll tell you what your going to need better then any shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
that engine would bolt right in to your car, and up to your transmission, although i would upgrade to an ex or si tranny while you're at it

Custompainter: In that case I fucked myself cuz the guy I bought it from told me the timing belt needed to be replaced but I didn't remember cuz I got memory problems ;). But $470 wasn't too bad I mean I expected it to happen..plus they cut 10% off the price for some reason.

99sidude: Thanks, I'll be putting that d15b vtec motor in just to get me around until I can get the b16a siR II changeover with 5-speed hydro trans. Can't wait to hear that VTEC SCREAM :D.

By the way where should I have the swap done at? Pepboys can kiss my ass. Is it simple enough that I could do it? And also if the engine bolts directly on then I can bolt my i/h/e onto that motor from my old one, right?

I live in a mobile home I ain't got no garage. LOL all my work's done in the driveway. So by saying "in my own garage", you're saying it's simple enough for a 16 year old with his first car and almost no mechanical experience to do the swap? I though you needed one of those things (whatever u call it A-frame I think o well fuck it) to lift the old engine out and lower the new one.

By the way I should gain 20-30 hp and some noise :D since I'm swapping in a vtec, right? And is there any difference between JDM and USDM other than compression ratio?

Last edited:
I did my first swap in my driveway because i had no garage also.

You do not need a cherry picker to pull the engine.

I almost removed all of the engine mounts then lowered the car all the way down and let the engine rest on one of those roll dollies you lay on to work under cars then jacked car back up real high and pulled engine out from underneath. YES its easier with a lift but most of us dont have such a luxery.

use GOOD jacks stands and some 2x4 wood pieces that will help alot.

My problem is a bad piston and bent valves, so all I really need is a new block and head right? Anyone know where I can buy just a d15b sohc vtec block and head without the other parts sold on swap sites? Preferably wth lower than 50k miles.

No trying to rebuild that engine would cost u more than buying a used one..
you should be able to get a direct replacement for about $200-400 easy...

Back