Problems with my stock engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if you bought a "longblock" which means just the block and head (no exhaust/intake manifold/dizzy/ect), it will bolt right in.

So the d15b vtec longblock should bolt right into the rest of my d15b7 nonvtec without problems and I won't have to worry about bent valves and a bad piston anymore.

you can bolt it right up to your tranny and use all your original shit on it
but i dont think your car is wired for Vtec so you might have to add a few wires and replace the ecu i'ts easy as hell to do

yep thats it... athought i would run an ex or si transmission purely for its more agressive gearing while the engine is out

Replace the ecu and add some wires? I don't know anything about that. Of course for about $100 extra I can get the PO8 ecu with that d15b vtec engine but about the wiring and all that I don't know anything about how to do that.

the wiring is alot easier than you think. you will have to run 2 wires for vtec I believe. Basically re-use your wiring harness, but run the extra wires on the vtec solenoid (unit on left side of head) to your ecu in the passenger kick panel. Do a search on this site... there are wiring diagrams available that show you to which pins on the ecu to run the wires to

theres three wires and a ground vtec solenoid, oil pressure switch, knock sensor, and a ground that can go anywhere in the engine bay as long as it's on metal
here's everything you need to know :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This article exploits a combination of ECU pin locations and wire colors for all M/T '92-95 Civic / '92-95 Integra / '92-95 Prelude VTEC and NON-VTEC vehicles.
OBD1 PLUG CONFIGURATION

Below is an example that shows the common onboard male connectors for a Honda OBD1 ECU.
Take note of plugs: A, B, and D.

The 4-plug OBD1 connector image below is proof these do exist and are usually found on JDM AUTO 92-95 Civic, Integra, and Preludes.
Sorry - I do not have pin schematics for the JDM 4-plug OBD1 ecu! Although, connectors A B D should technically be the same pin locations as a 5spd 3-plug OBD1 ECU.

plugs2.jpg

obd1.pin.schematics.gif

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

These pin-out locations were cross-referenced with OBD1 Civic/Integra/Prelude Helm's service manuals.

The information in this article applies to:

• All US & JDM OBD1 (92-95) M/T civic ecu's
  • All US & JDM OBD1 (92-95) M/T integra ecu's
  • All US & JDM OBD1 (92-95) M/T prelude ecu's

o-yeah the ground i told you about isn't on this so dont look for it !!!
the ground is tha black wire that is coming off the oil presure switch for the Vtec just run that one wire to a good ground piont and run the other three into the ecu the list above will tell you the location on the ecu and the color code just match them up and your good

there's three wires and a ground vtec solenoid, oil pressure switch, knock sensor, and a ground that can go anywhere in the engine bay as long as it's on metal
here's everything you need to know :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This article exploits a combination of ECU pin locations and wire colors for all M/T '92-95 Civic / '92-95 Integra / '92-95 Prelude VTEC and NON-VTEC vehicles.
OBD1 PLUG CONFIGURATION

Below is an example that shows the common onboard male connectors for a Honda OBD1 ECU.
Take note of plugs: A, B, and D.

The 4-plug OBD1 connector image below is proof these do exist and are usually found on JDM AUTO 92-95 Civic, Integra, and Preludes.
Sorry - I do not have pin schematics for the JDM 4-plug OBD1 ecu! Although, connectors A B D should technically be the same pin locations as a 5spd 3-plug OBD1 ECU.

plugs2.jpg

obd1.pin.schematics.gif

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

These pin-out locations were cross-referenced with OBD1 Civic/Integra/Prelude Helm's service manuals.

this needs to be sticky if its not already

It has always been my understanding that d-series' don't have a knock sensor. I guess I was wrong.

Vtec 's do at least i think they all do i learn something new everyday but i't my understanding that d's do have them at least mine do

My 93 Civic is M/T (if you mean manual trans) so why should I have to buy a new ecu? Couldn't I just add a couple wires to my stock ecu? Mine should have empty slots for the VTEC wires right. My stock engine's not vtec if that means anything. I guess I'll have to take out the ecu and look for myself. It's under the fusebox, right?

And custompainter when you said vtec solenoid, oil pressure switch, knock sensor, and ground did you mean VTEC pressure switch cuz I see that in the diagram but not oil pressure switch.

And why is the wiring harness on the RIGHT side of this engine? http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30021 that's what I want to buy and where I want to buy it from but will I have trouble with wires?

Last edited:
All I know is vtec makes the engine work harder in the 5000's. That's what I'm here for, to learn, right? I don't know much (yet) but I love hondas :D.

DO A SEARCH!!! :mad:

you call yourself a "civicracer" and you don't know what vetech is? dang

Ok the week is over so I will be nice. Vtec is basically an extra lobe the cam for each valve. This lobe has higher lift and duration than the "low lobe" and is meant for top end power. At a set rpm, a solenoid (vtec solenoid) activates the "high cam" lobe, giving an increase in power, and an unmistakable sound:D. Vtec is used to provide economy with the low cam at lower rpm's, while also providing performance in the vtec range.

yeah that basicly sums it up nice
you get a cookie for the day :) lol..........J/K

Back