problems with shooting clear coat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

Okay so I guess there is no way to reduce this clear coat (it is just a 2 part clear, hardner + clear)?? Are you sure that something like virgin laquir thinner or regular paint thinner wouldn't thin this out or something like that, or acetone? or something??

Well if it can't be thinned iwth any of that shit then what pressure should I start shooting this at? I tried 25, 30, 40 and it all seemed to either orange peel, or run.

This whole orange peel is just pissing me off. I know it can be sprayed to the point where I wont need to wetsand/buff anything out of it ...and that is what I want.

How many layers should I put on this float coat to make it my finishing coat?

thanks

My first paintjob was the only one that I had a problem with orange peel. I bet you need to adjust your gun, then get the pressure right. Do you know anyone nearby that can help you in person? I bet one visit with someone that knows how to do it and you'll be a pro in no time.

I run my air knob wide open, then adjust the fluid knob so that I get the desired amount of product applied. I think I run about 30 psi at the regulator/filter. I know the other guys use lower pressure a lot, but I've never had a problem. The two knobs on the gun regulate volume, not pressure. I think my gun is 40 psi max, but I'd have to look again.

I'm not a pro like Driver1, Hcivic, or Xyswany, but I am very competent, and I've painted several cars, trucks, and bikes.

ya make sure your gun is rated for the clear. ie some guns have a 1.4mm needle ans clear needs a 1.5mm-1.8mm needle

okay few little things

I have a pressure regulator on the air comrpessor itself, That is set at wide open, then there is a watertrap that is directly after the air comrpessor (in line) that is set to like 10bar sio like 147ish psi, then there is a small regulator at the gun, that is where i have been setting the pressure at.

on my gun there is the fluid control knob, air inlet knob, and pattern knob.

I'm going to stop by a few body shops tomorrow and ask them if they could help me out a bit.

btw, my tip is 1.5mm (im 95% sure)

im sure i'll beable to get some help toma at a body shop or something like that and then like you said tab, i'm sure i'll beable to lay out some nice paint jobs after a few little trys.

I'm pretty good at laying primer but then again, primer isn't shit. :p I'm waiting to take a swing at this monte carlo (black)

thanks guys

most everyone i know is running 1.3 tips in their guns for cleacoat, 1.5 -1.8 is not necessary and from what paint reps and others have told me the 1.3 will provide less orange peel. either way youll be fine with the 1.5 that you have and it would not be worht trying to go buy another tip. likethe others said you prob need to get you gun a lil bit fmor finely tuned then try again, and to be honest with you, what i truely believe you need is just more practice. Its very hard to paint one or two things and then just be able to paint perfectly afterwards. jst keep practicing and get your gun set a lil better and son enough you should be sptraying real nice

for dupont croma clear you need the bigger tip i was using a 1.3 and could not get it to glass then switched in a 1.6 and went candy

i sprayed it a lot thinner and at like 30psi and it took away some of the orange peel (enough for me to be happy, basicly, im tired of fuckin around with this peice of junk and i want to get it boosted and back on the road) so i'll post some pics toma of the clear coated final product in the sun...

eh

it isn't the best but i dont give a fuck, it is 99% bondo over the entire car and yea i spray painted the base coat, not to mention i used a fuckin drill to make the doors flat (no joke, i'll take pics toma)

for all that i think it came out pretty good

i'll post pics toma

Back