Problems with Shutdown.exe XP SP2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

I am trying to use shutdown.exe to shutdown a remote desktop. Something strange is going on... I have 2 machines here. Each machine has 2 PC's on their own networks.

Both PC's on Both Machines are XP SP2.

Both PC's on Both Machines are using the same login name (With Admin Rights)

Both PC's on Both Machines are using the same IP Structure (192.168.1.xxx)

Both PC's on Both Machines are exactly identical.

One machine I can use the shutdown -r -m \\PC-Name to reboot it, the other I get Access Denied. I have checked everything, the Windows Security rights are identical and correct, firewalls are both disabled... I KNOW i am missing something, I just cant think of what...

Suggestions? And I would prefer to only use this program, and not an external program.

good choice. we use that mostly when a user is being fired ;) or if we have a hung server that needs to be rebooted, remotely.

your syntax looks good. why not try using the GUI version of the same program?

No Go. Same thing. All the GUI seems to do is make a user friendly version of the syntaxs...

Says Access denied... I CANT figure out why... EVERYTHING is the same between the setups... The ONLY difference is the one that doesn't work DOES NOT have APC PowerChute Installed, but I DOUBT that could do it.

I mean EVERYTHING is the same!!! Its like WTF!!!

The only other difference is that the machine that doesn't work hasn't had windows update run since April/May. As where the other was updated 2 weeks ago.

These machines don't have internet access... Is there anyway I can download an "all in one" Windows Update CD or something?

not that i know of :(

you can try pulling the windowsupdate directory in the TEMP folder off another machine.

I foudn the problem. Apparently the Security Option under Local Policy was set to Guest, so it was authenticating as guest.

I changed it to Classic, and it worked. But then the SQL Server Stopped working because of it because THAT is setup wrong. LOL. :)

Microsoft Corporation

Set both PC's to Classic and all is well.

Now if I can just find a copy of SQL Reporting Services i'll be REALLY happy.

Back