progress in the Target suit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I can see both sides of this but I believe that sueing websites is a tad too much. I don't understand why the blind consumer would not just go to the target store instead. oh well.....

fuck that!

im NOT making my websites accessible to the blind. if you cant see, chances are you cant type or click on the screen either.

Screen readers make lots of stuff available to the blind. This is overboard, if this were the only way to access Target stores then I could see the reasoning, but all you have to do is go down to a Target store and you can purchase all the same stuff that you could online.

The ADA stuff on the web is a big deal. Any graphic arts/web programming school teaches it. There are special readers that read alt tags, and all the text on a web page. It is a slow process, especially compared to how quickly sighted people can go through the web. The readers work well although sometimes can pick up some tags.
It just means a little more effort has to go into site creation, but I think over all it is not that big of a deal to throw in a few tags here and there to make it possible for people with disabilities to use a site.

what impact could this have on non retailer web sites?

Tons. This case is going to set the precident. Section 508 has been applicable to government websites for a while now (Section 508: The Road to Accessibility) which basically states that governement sites MUST be accesible to the blind.

There are plenty of tools, such as Bobby, to help the process. And furthermore, this has been a Recomendation by the standards group, W3.org since 1999.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

I've been a big pusher of web standards for some time now... and this is only going to help it.

I've recently started a project aimed at creating an accessible vBulletin skin.
vBStandard

I'm hoping to release this product in November.

You've probably noticed i'm posting less than ususal, and thats because i've been working there...

Back