Project del Sol - Part 2!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, that depends.
are you now, or have you ever been mentally retarded?

lmao. in general no. unless you are in fact mentally retarded.

question, on a scale of 1 to 10. how hard would this be for a newbie?

Do you feel comfortable turning a wrench? Do you know how to use a multimeter and troubleshoot some minor electrical connections? If so then a swap isn't all that bad. Just time consuming. I don't know how difficult this particular swap is, but I'm on my first swap and I've had a blast. I chose a fairly straight forward swap though (b18c into eg). It hasn't been hard, just a little time consuming (because I'm not rushing and I'm doing it between work and school).

it does stand out. if you do go white it'll look good but you gotta keep it very clean. if you do that you should do the valve cover white too. Forget painting the engine bay the same color. If done right it makes a motor look good. However when you do check out some tires depending on size check out the relatively new kelly fierce instinct tires. They're basically a cheaper version of the goodyear eagle gt's. I've been impressed by them big time on my buddy's audi tt. We ripped on them as much as we could and barely got them to break loose.

Update!!!

Got a couple of good parts this weekend.

-LS intake manifold
-Exedy flywheel
-Exedy clutch kit
-LS bracket
-Few bolts

SDC11544.jpg

SDC11546.jpg

SDC11547.jpg

SDC11545.jpg

I'm going to the junkyard again tomorrow to get some tranny bolts and I'm all set!

Motor is going in this week.

Major Update!!!

I sold my blue del Sol shell on tuesday :( We took out the single jingle because I needed to use a few parts off of it.

SDC11548.jpg

SDC11549.jpg

Then the moment of truth! The B20 swap! We did it at night with not much light and it was raining for a short period of time.

SDC11552.jpg

SDC11551.jpg

SDC11554.jpg

SDC11555.jpg

SDC11556.jpg

Huge accomplishment for me! I've been gather parts for weeks just to get this damn motor in.

Here are some shots in the day

SDC11557.jpg

SDC11558.jpg

SDC11559.jpg

Gonna get it started up this weekend! Just need axles. I'm picking up a starter and halfshaft today hopefully.

Credit goes out to my friends James & Kerby for helping me out with everything. They're the two guys you see in the pictures.

thats awesome, im glad you finally got it installed. you are going to love it :)

great job man, youll notice a HUGE difference in power between the two and you wont wanna ever go back to a d series, did you say you planned a b20/vtec with it?

great job man, youll notice a HUGE difference in power between the two and you wont wanna ever go back to a d series, did you say you planned a b20/vtec with it?

Yea I was planning going B20vtec but since I have this P8R head I wanna see how good it is. I plan on upgrading my tranny to a B16 since I'm running a LS right now.

i have a b16 tranny in mine and its nice, makes it seem like it has a lot more torque, but my car runs like 3k at 55mph, but if you dont do a lot of highway or interstate driving it would be great

Yea I was planning going B20vtec but since I have this P8R head I wanna see how good it is. I plan on upgrading my tranny to a B16 since I'm running a LS right now.

if you ever get rid of that p8r head, dibs. lol
swap is lookin good though, get it running! youre gonna love it.

b16 is an awesome trans, even boosted. i dont care what anyone says i love it.

Update!!!

The beast is alive!!

Poured some oil inside and cranked that sucker up

SDC11569.jpg

SDC11567.jpg

SDC11566.jpg

And a few failed attempts to start it...

YouTube - B20 P8R First Start Up

Fixed the starting issues and got it running fine now. Just need to chip my ECU since I'm running a stock P28 right now.

Update!

Haven't updated in a while, but the Sol is running good so far. I need a paint job =/ kinda backed up with tickets and bills right now so that's going to have to wait a while. The motor is running decent though. It feels nice to have torque all throughout the powerband. I'm using a OBD1 P75 ecu, I plan on getting it chipped soon to maximize my 2.0 status :)

SDC11590.jpg

SDC11589.jpg

Nice build! You give me hope that my crx will actually be on the street before I'm too old to remember how to drive lol. Mine looked about the shape yours was in when I got it, maybe a little worse... But we have everything now to get it going. It looks good! :thumbsup:

haha the engine bay is indeed a random color. you had better paint that ish when you paint the car! lol

Back