Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by TurboMirage, Feb 16, 2017.
Got a chance to finish drilling and tapping the caliper mount on the knuckle. Ran the tap through the other hole as well to clean it up. Bearing on this side is measured already so it can go back together next.
It’s a gorgeous day and I have a replacement spacer #18. I broke the vice turning it to 150lbft but was able to improvise to measure the resistance. Shaved it to a #16 and we are good to go.
Got it all back together. New caliper and my drill and tap of the caliper bolt hole worked and is holding fine. Then I cut the speed sensor out of the junk knuckle and installed that.
It’s now on all 4s waiting for a battery charge lol
Is there anything you haven't replaced on this car? It looks great, but damn man, everything that could be bad seems like it is.
Rear brake hard lines are all that’s left after this. I have the lines already. Most of it is just me not spending time lol
The yellow top wasn’t completely flat so I jumped it and let it run for awhile. It started right up again after so we will see lol
Now for a bath! Been in the garage since October.
Drilled out and tapped the seat bolt that broke on day 3 of owning this car. Holding nicely.
Bought a new battery cuz the charger said both batteries I had were bad (you could watch the voltage decay on the multimeter lol) and now I have a battery light. Took it out for a few miles in the rain and it drove pretty good. Revs over 5k so now I know the wheel sensor is good.
I tested the resistance of all the grounds (cleaned them up and made new wires for some) they are under .5 so not worried there. I wonder if the terminals are fucking me again...
The car is not going over 12.5v when running so I don’t think it charging.
After testing and checking various components I believe the alternator is bad. Pulled it finally and there is almost no resistance at all on the brushes. Going to have it tested and order up a replacement after from rockauto.
What sucks is my original alternator from the parts car was good but the case broke so I trashed it. Should have kept it and swapped the guts in. The parts car engines alternator has 55k on it so tough to think it’s bad but it is 15 years old and I did check / clean everything as well as grounds.
Finally have time to work on the sedan again. The pass side knuckle still isn’t right. I disassembled it and the races basically fell out. I checked everything on the bench again and there was play that wasn’t there before. I shaved the spacer again 2 slots on the chart and torqued, great. Put it on the car and it’s still got a small wiggle, so I’m scrapping this knuckle. I grabbed a good one from the yard for 26 bucks and I will drill the bolt holes to fit studs and toss it on the car. Hours of work wastedpreppjng this knuckle, FU stupid bearings.
Slammed studs into this bad boy ready to put on the car!
I nearly destroyed a cheapie 1/2 inch drive drill trying to open those bolt holes up lol.
And my full size image is a naked woman Lolol so there’s that NSFW
Well I had a few drink and one thing led to another. It’s nice and right now!
Got a chance Saturday morning to ghetto ride the kia. something is still problematic on the right side, i took it for a loop on the highway and then back to the house. jacked it up, inner tierod seems the next culprit. sad part is i have these, i bought them and never put them in. took it to inspection where my armenian guy is (they have inspected my cars for years) and he confirmed it was inner tie rod. i'll get it done this week and then we will be good to move on.
great news! the inner tierods are fine. beat up, but fine.
bad news. it's the rack that is loose inside. guess that's coming down now .
Well this has been fun so far....
New rack will be here Tuesday
I quit after those photos Friday night but it only took 5 minutes to pull the rack once I got the linkage undone.
Got the new rack!
Old one is already in the box back in the car to send for the core lol
New rack is in, column is up.
Need to wire the column back up and put the wheels on. Also fix my linkage shift linkage. My oem plastic sleeve gave up the ghost this time.
Buttoned back up just need to grab the long acre plates for alignment. Shift linkage is fixed too. Also replaced the torsion bar washers that I had from the parts car. Outer washers just weren’t right and now was a great time to change them.
Went to inspection and they were unhappy about how dim the lights were. Also one of my ball joint bolts were loose.
Both fixed now...
Separate names with a comma.