Project: RWD S/C V6 Coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

V6CivicProject

What's up? I have the crazy idea to take a 92-95 bodystyle 2door civic and transplant a heads/cam Pontiac 3.8L supercharged engine with a 5speed rwd transmission out of a v6 camaro into it. The motor and transmission bolt up and I am thinking a GM 10-bolt rear will probably do the job of putting the 350+ horsepower to the ground. I also have the ECU, wiring harness, and everything else that's vital.

I've seen it done with an LS1 V8 motor but figure it'll be better with a supercharged V6, since the engine is shorter in length. There'll most likely be a bit of cutting and welding involved but I've heard of people retaining their stock floor pans and not having to build a full tube chassis, which I don't really want. I'm looking to keep it street appearance and not looking to make it a drag car, just more of a toy.

Now the question is, which body would you suggest will be the best suited for the project, as far as the coupes? 92-95 or 96-00?

92-95, since it is slightly lighter, and possibly a bit less expense for the chassis.
thats about it.

Why not an ED/EF? It all depends on what you would like the most. I'm not completely sure but I think the 96-00 engine bay may be slightly larger.

Why waste the time and the money? Take that and throw it in a 1st gen sdime.
Supercharged LS1 and t56 > supercharged 3.8 and 5sp.

92-95, since it is slightly lighter, and possibly a bit less expense for the chassis.
thats about it.

Why not an ED/EF? It all depends on what you would like the most. I'm not completely sure but I think the 96-00 engine bay may be slightly larger.

I'm a bigger fan of the mid-later 90s bodies, but definitely don't want to deal with OBD2 emissions and whatnot. As for the motor, a 3.8L V6 pull from a GTP bolts up to a 5speed out of a v6 camaro. Weight wise, a T5 weighs 75 pounds, nearly half that of a T56. I'm not sure about the weight of the LS1 versus the 3.8L V6, they might be close though only because the LS1 block is aluminum. Also to hold the power of a done up s/c LS1 I'd need to throw in a heavier rear end, the 10 bolt would probably break. An LS1 would be awesome though regardless, but I'm sticking with the V6. Should be a fun project

you'd be suprised how lightweight the ls1 blocks are. They're all aluminum, compared to cast iron for the 3800.

Is a t5 going to be able to support the power of the supercharger? I know with Chevy trucks I can't use my 5speed behind a 6.0L because it won't handle the power if abused. I would look into a built t5 if going that route.

Yeah, t5's arn't that great. My roommate has a bolt-on 5.0, and when he started running a 100 shot, the trans didn't last much longer. I'm assuming its the same t5 as the chevy trucks.

Is a t5 going to be able to support the power of the supercharger? I know with Chevy trucks I can't use my 5speed behind a 6.0L because it won't handle the power if abused. I would look into a built t5 if going that route.

G-force gears hold 600 horsepower in a 3300lb drag car on slicks. I have one from my built up V6 Camaro. 70lbs lighter than a t-56 also.

Last edited:
I can't wait... I'm just pricing things out still, but in the meantime, what do the EG shells weigh? I figure if I can build the car to weigh 2100-2500lbs I should be able to make an 11 second car out of it without much engine work. stock 3800 series II supercharged motor is I believe 260hp with stock M90 pulley and exhaust manifolds, add some headers, a cam, heads that I have in my garage, injectors, smaller pulley and a tune (all parts I don't have can be had for under a grand) I should see over 300 at the wheels. fast civics ftw

One thing I'm worried about is the front end though. I'm hoping I can keep the steering assembly and the front 4-lug spindles and that nothing's gonna collide when I try to fab up the transmission and engine to fit. Hopefully all I have to do is remove the axles, cv joints etc, but still be able to keep the front wheels as they are. Sound feasible or you think I will need to adapt a different front end?

Back