Projected D-series build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Here's what I have planned; tell me what I should change, etc. Im pretty much looking to get as much HP as possible with a budget(not really any limit, just anything that is considered cheap yet effective):

D15B VTEC; 75.5mm bore; havent decided on who to use for headwork(most likely be RLZ though)
Bushed ITR rods with .5mm OS PMS pistons; ~11.8:1 CR, i want to run higher but the next level is ~12.7:1(?)
Swain tech coated pistons and head
Crower stg 3 cam and valvetrain
custom ITB setup(read up on my hybrid itb thread...)
modified Megan Racing header; if its still choking the motor ill resort to a Bisimoto header
2.25" header-back exhaust
P28 running Crome w/ ITB Tools
Semi-knife edged crankshaft(IB style i guess)
MSD dizzy cap with Moroso PlasmaPulse coil, MSD wires, iridium plugs
ZC transmission with DX differential+Phantom grip(if i get a raise or something; itll be SSR 4.7 final drive with OBX LSD)

I'm hoping to get this done by whenever the Hondaswap "usa tour" meeting thingy is going to happen. Goal is 160whp and streetable. (i dont have a digi camera, but ill try to get as much pics as possible of the progress)

Sounds good to me, other than the rod setup- I don't know what the rod lengths are in the D15B, but if the ITR matches up, go for it. 160whp is doable with the right tuning from an all motor D block. I was actually shooting for something higher with my D build before I sold it.

the d15b will not recieve the 1.6 or larger rods.

if i was you, i would pick up a different block.

d15 parts availablity is not so great, and really they are oddball.

just find a d16 bare block or something, people give them away.

Quoted post[/post]]
the d15b will not recieve the 1.6 or larger rods.

if i was you, i would pick up a different block.

d15 parts availablity is not so great, and really they are oddball.

just find a d16 bare block or something, people give them away.

its a jdm d15b vtec; the rods are the same as the d16s(137mm); the the other d15s(minus the z1) are 134mm. ..

thing is, i want to keep it 1.5L(short stroke) because ill probally be reving it high(around 9000rpm) and i dont want to have to invest in new sleeves or stronger aftermarket rods. Ive read(on H-T) that Eagle rods and the likes arent that much better over stock shot-peened rods. Wouldnt I also have to notch the block to get the Eagle-style rods to fit also? If i was to use a d16 shortblock though, i would think about those rods. I do want to use a d16 bare block though, but thats not happening because of the different main bearing diameter(d15=45mm vs. d16's 55mm).

the itr rods i can get for cheap or free because my friend still has his left over(he already sold the pistons). from the specs on on Crower; the ITR rods need to be grinded down just on the PE end and bushed to accept the 19mm pins. I have a friend that works at a european performance shop who can do the machine work for me(except im not sure about the bushing part...ill have to talk to him about that).

Quoted post[/post]]
And I've heard that ITBs don't make a very streetable setup. Also, look into a Rage or SMSP header.

Well i think theres some guys on SOHChonda.com that are running itbs on the street. Ill check it out and make sure; since those guys were using 40mm throttles and im using 42mm.

Ive searched, but where can i find more info on the Rage header?

I would go with a 2.5 inch exhaust if you plan to rev that high with that high compression.
I would skip any aftermarket coil.
Go to Import Builders website and read up on their theory behind this.

Quoted post[/post]]
its a jdm d15b vtec; the rods are the same as the d16s(137mm); the the other d15s(minus the z1) are 134mm. ..
Ive read(on H-T) that Eagle rods and the likes arent that much better over stock shot-peened rods. Wouldnt I also have to notch the block to get the Eagle-style rods to fit also?

GSR/ITR rods are 137.9mm. I don't know how the pistons you plan on using compare to the JDM D15B pistons in terms of compression height, but if you can make up the extra .9mm of rod by using a shorter piston, go for it. As for stock vs Eagle rods, forged Eagle rods are WAY stronger than stock B series rods. Just take a look at them and you'll see the difference. With the D16 block, you DON'T have to notch it to run the current crop of Eagle forged rods. You do with the old ones, but not the new versions.

Quoted post[/post]]
I would go with a 2.5 inch exhaust if you plan to rev that high with that high compression.
I would skip any aftermarket coil.

:werd: and :werd:

the compression height on the stock d15b pistons is ~27.7mm i believe, and the compression height on the PMS pistons is 27mm; with the regular sized rods the compression is in the 10.72:1 with the 2-layer HG and PMS pistons.

Is there any way to tell the difference between the new and old Eagle forged rods? Also, since the d15 has a shorter stroke, is it safe to assume the d15 will have the same or more clearance than the d16 with the eagle rods?

The car already has a 2.5" exhaust on it. from what ive seen lots of people that run 2.5" have high compression 1.8l-2l engines, so i thought it would be too big for my application. I guess ill just get a new muffler and keep the piping. Thanks for all the comments.

Back