pros and cons ls block vs gsr block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok i was looking around and in search of a ls block or a gsr block, and i noticed that the ls block i can find for cheap like 100 to 300 bucks and for the gsr block i have found them for 500 bucks. but the ls block i would have to spend another 100 to 200 bucks for the lsvtec convertion kit. so i was wondering am i better off just buying a gsr block or get the ls block and do the convertion? and what are the pros and cons of getting the ls block, and what are the pros and cons of getting the gsr block!

try to find a bare gsr block and buy an ls crank...knife edge the crank($$$) and then it will clear the oil squirters....then it becomes an ls in a gsr...the perfect frank motor....if i knew then what i know now i wouldve done it...

Originally posted by formby@May 10 2005, 12:35 PM
try to find a bare gsr block and buy an ls crank...knife edge the crank($$$) and then it will clear the oil squirters....then it becomes an ls in a gsr...the perfect frank motor....if i knew then what i know now i wouldve done it...
[post=497439]Quoted post[/post]​

explain to me what that knife edge means? and what pistons do i use in there then?

ls crank with ls rods

and knife edge means the take material off the counter weights to make it turn faster like the flywheel. inturn the material removed lets the crank clear the OS

gsr VS ls..

ls has more stroke, weaker rods, lower compression pistons

gsr has less stroke, more rev-happy, stronger rods, more compression, crank girdle, and oil squirters.

Ls crank/rods im a gsr casting make the best of both worlds... but gsr pistons don't fit ls rods, so keep that in mind, and the crank will have to be machined, as stated, to clear the squiters. b16 pistons will fit ls rods though.

if they wont fit, can you get em machiend to fit LS rods? would putting a LS crank in a GSR require any odd machine work?

yes, you can shot peen them to fit i beleive.

as for everything else, other than the block girlde, i don't see there being anything that would need to be modified.

Originally posted by brian11to1@May 11 2005, 03:15 PM
if they wont fit, can you get em machiend to fit LS rods?
[post=497971]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes. I have CTR pistons on aftermarket LS rods.

Back