Pro's and con's of B-series swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Although, it's more work, an h22 would put you into 13s inside a hatch... with nothing else needed.

More expensive...need special mounts, crappy trans, stupid crappy cable shifter, you need to cut holes in the the car....

Do I have to buy the bracket that will allow me to use the D-series a/c compressor with a b-series engine?

or

Can I just use the b-series compressor, but attach the car's high pressure and low pressure lines to the b-series compressor?

One more thing. Was there a 92-95 civic hatch that did not come with a/c from the factory so that I would not have to worry about a/c conversion at all?

Quoted post[/post]]
and by the way you would have to be retarded not to be able to run high 14s with a b series anything in a hatch

after calling people 'noob', how can you make a dumbass, general statement like that? several things factor into quarter mile times: elevation, traction, temp, etc.

i doubt a guy in colorado with an ls sawp in his 5th gen hatch is running 14's.

Quoted post[/post]]
Do I have to buy the bracket that will allow me to use the D-series a/c compressor with a b-series engine?

or

Can I just use the b-series compressor, but attach the car's high pressure and low pressure lines to the b-series compressor?

One more thing. Was there a 92-95 civic hatch that did not come with a/c from the factory so that I would not have to worry about a/c conversion at all?

for a 5th gen b-series swap, youll need a del sol vtec a/c bracket. you dont have to disconnect any lines, just let the still attached compressor hang.

the only reason I'm not really commenting on the swap articles is cause theyre all over.

Yes, there are hatches that came without factory A/C.

Just trying to figure out the best way to lighten up an EG chassis instead of waiting around trying to find an HF CRX. Then again, I will probably never get an EG half way close to the weight of an HF CRX. Dam CRX's are so light.

heres a list of shit to remove to get you started

back seats
passenger seat
carpet
sound deadening
spare tire
jack
stereo
speakers
AC
PS
heater core
plastic pannels
roof liner
bumper supports
interior door skins
climate control panel
dash board
air bags
replace rear windows with lexan/plastic
sway bars
exhaust
center plastic (arm rest, shifter area, etc)
put in a roll cage, remove seat belts get harnesses (do not get harnesses without a roll bar / cage)
CF or FG body pannels
tube frame
replace driver seat with stupidly light racing seat
replace side windows with lexan/plastic
replace windsheild with lexan
cut any extra length off all bolts
drill all nuts
drill any non structural metal
light weight battery
remove headlights
remove tail lights
replace ignition with switches
light weight rims
light weight drag racing front brakes
remove rear brakes
remove E brake lever and lines
remove cruise control
light weight LCAs

the list goes on and on
that should give you an idea

JoJo, what kind of 1/4 mile did you run? What all have you done to your car?

well...My four door civic when i took i to the track did 9.39 in the 8th mile...so i dont know what that really is in the 1/4 so ahh..yeah..lol..
I was running then, a 97 b18b engine with the DRAG3 turbo kit..IM also running a 97 gsr tranny.... I was runnning 5-7 lbs at the time with shitty, and i mean shieeeetttttyy tires.....I also had a big tool box in my trunk, spare tire, carseat, a bandpass and of course the rest of my daughters toys..lol....
so ahh...I Know that if i wouldve taken all that shit out and got new tires i wouldve done way better...BUt my dumbass is RETARDED....lmao...
so ahh,, yeah...ohhh and UNTUNED..

The Turbo setup took me 8 hours to install..It wasnt hard at all.... <--and thats because we were drunk..lol..

92civicb18b1 says
anyone can make a Honda turbo kit for under 1500 bucks, it's really not that hard.
Thats true...^^^
I GOt my new turbo setup for under 800 bux..... I know for a fact you can get a turbo setup for under 1500 bux.... and thats including the gauges and exter/inline fuel pump...

I know a couple of guys selling JDM b18 engines.and their swaped civics....Matter a fact i have a friend thats selling his 2xx hp all motor LSVTEC hatch.... CHEAP... I also know guys selling their turbo setups....
If interested, or need any more info on anything PM me or POST and ill send you the link....

:) Good luck.... :)

Tell me more about your turbo setup, and what parts I will need.

And tell me more about what your friends have for sale, because LS/VTEC hatch for real cheap, i'm definitely interested. You could PM me more info on your friend(s) car(s) so I can get a head start on a potentially good deal.

oh and a couple of pics.. so you can get an idea of what i
would look like on a eg..lol

th_TurboFODOcivic053.jpg

th_TurboFODOcivic034.jpg

th_TurboFODOcivic067.jpg

th_TurboFODOcivic049.jpg

CAn you tell i was drunk..? lmao
th_TurboFODOcivic062.jpg

and of course the vid of me beating a Mustang..got em twice..
.and i lost 3rd gear on that race...only 5lbs
<span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%">VIDEO HERE</span>

turbo is alot of parts for a person who is new coming into the scene. thats all im gonna say. everyone here who has done one will say "ahh hell its so easy man" yeah sure it is, and ill say the same too, once youve done a couple that is. dont let ppls ego's get the best of you, understand turboing a non turbo car is not something absolutely insane, but for a noob to hondas and with no knowledge on turbos, its prolly gonna be a nightmare for ya. unless you study your ass off and research every part of building a kit. bolting parts on do not make you a good turbo kit, buying the RIGHT parts make you a nice turbo kit! i think if you start to read into turbochargers in general, your first impression is prolly gonna be "god damn im lost". there are a TON of different sizes and options, and picking the right one FOR WHAT YOU WANT to do with your car is absolutely crucial!

I didn't know shit when I did my first turbo setup, I did my research and chose a 42/48. I wasn't looking for huge HP and it was suitable for what I wanted.

I wouldn't condone just buying random parts and going into it blindly. If you do decide to turbo your teg, research it first and figure whats best and in your budget.

Quoted post[/post]]
I didn't know shit when I did my first turbo setup, I did my research and chose a 42/48. I wasn't looking for huge HP and it was suitable for what I wanted.

I wouldn't condone just buying random parts and going into it blindly. If you do decide to turbo your teg, research it first and figure whats best and in your budget.

^^^uhuh....what *sheee says* ^^^
and brian is drunk i bet....are you not? lol..

OK, just thought I would add my $0.02 to this and see what you all think. Before the wreck, I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX Hatch that was 2100 LBs with 3/4 of a tank of gas. I removed the rear seats, all the ac stuff that was under the hood, car didn't come with power steering, and that was it. I swapped in a B20B and a Si tranny. Added:

Tusudo Catback
Stock Integra Cat
DC Sports 4-2-1 2 Piece Header
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
Bored GSR Throttle Body
Reactive Intake

Might be a few smaller things but can't think of everything. My best times are a 14.34 in the 1/4 and a 8.94 in the 1/8. This was with 14 inch M/T slicks.
My plans are to make me a 13 second all motor non-vtec civic. I should be picking me up a Type R tranny, I will be trying to find me a B20Z to replace the B20B. However, if I can't then I will be using the B20B. I have a 99 Integra head that has been ported and polished and a three angle valve job. I bought Crower retainers and dual springs for it. Going to have this head all cleaned then put together and placed on what ever B20 I will use. Then get me some Crower 403 or 404 cams and that should be all it takes. I just bought me another Hatch but it's a 93 DX however, didn't come with power steering so that's a plus.

I'm pretty sure the 99 LS head is the same. The 2000 LS head is different and will yield a few more hp.

To bad you have already got the LS head ported, because I would recommend the P8R head. Some people have gotten the P8R flowing well over 250 cfm with little work.

You know, it would be nice to find an EG hatch w/o factory a/c.

I found out that alot of cars had to have the a/c option installed at the dealership.

Back