Pros and Cons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MoSeS

ok i finally have the money saved up to get an engine for my civic, but now im torn between an h22 or a b18. i know for a fact that i want vtec and its going to still be my daily driver, but i also want to take it to the track every now and then. im just looking for some advice on what to get, i want to know which engine would be easier to swap in, which is more powerful, which is cheaper, everything. i am also going to research this on my own but i want testimonials and opinions. And no i don't want to nor do i have near enough money to :buyanm:

i know for a fact that i want vtec
either... B or H series engines can be had with VTEC
and its going to still be my daily driver,
either... B or H series engines are both daily driven with minimal problems
but i also want to take it to the track every now and then.
either... B or H series engines are both quite capable on the track... but there are considerations... like what type of track (road course / drag / etc)
im just looking for some advice on what to get,
both are good choices
i want to know which engine would be easier to swap in,
in a civic a B series is easiest
which is more powerful,
in stock form the H is more powerful... with mods it can go either way
which is cheaper,
the H series will usually be cheaper to purchace... but the B series will generally be cheaper to get into the car
everything.

the h22 will have more base power and more potential for power due to more displacement.

for a daily driver with a few track runs here and there either will be fine.

either motor could get you in the 12's fairly easy.

the h22 will be a harder swap, but if your not doing it yourself then that doesnt matter :p

just comes down to cost i guess.

you planning on boosting or staying all motor?

i want to keep it all-motor and i want to track it on a road course not drag

If you're going to be doing track duty, get the b18. If cost isnt an issue for the most part, get the type R motor as it has a superior high end than that of the gsr (c1) motor. Otherwise, stick with the b18c1 and just mod it, most likely it will turn out to be cheaper.

What is the extent of the modifications you have planned? (lets be real)

thats what i was thinking but i just don't know all that much about the b18 at least not as much as i know about the h22. as for the mods (and yes cost is an issue) i was going to do basic bolt-ons, I/H/E, intake manifold, pulleys, clutch and flywheel

before you buy anything, you should get a rule book from your local club. figure out what you can and cannot do to stay in a class.

:werd:
nothing sucks more than building the shit out of something only to find out you are not at all legal for what you wanted to get into in the first place
best of luck and have fun with it

ok thanks for the advice i think im going to go with a b18 now. i will check the local club rules and see what all i need to do to be "legal". what engine code should i be looking for, i want it to be vtec (of course) but i don't want jdm (too exspensive) so would i be looking for a gsr from a usdm integra???

ok thanks for the advice i think im going to go with a b18 now. i will check the local club rules and see what all i need to do to be "legal". what engine code should i be looking for, i want it to be vtec (of course) but i don't want jdm (too exspensive) so would i be looking for a gsr from a usdm integra???
the motor prices are gonna be pretty much the same for usdm or jdm

Back