PS removal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Okay, so say I want to disconnect my power steering because I want to lighten the load a few pounds, and make some room for a Bisi header. What do I do with the power steering lines? Does honda have a standard mounting for its steering racks? Because with all that fluid in the lines, I can see problems developing with air getting into the rack and making for some hard turning. Any suggestions from people who have done this. Does a bisi header require the removal of the power steering on a b-series motor? Thanks for the help.
Mike

Down on the crossmember/steering rack where it connects to the car... just uhhh cut the high pressure hose and all lines that pertain to the PS system... then have all the ends brazed up. that's what I did

Just start ripping shit out. That's all I did when I took my power steering out. You can just run the rack dry and you should be fine. You can also pack it wil grease to or something. I'm not too worried about mine though.

Best way:

Disconnect everything, remove pump and most hoses
Turn steering wheel from side to side until no more PS fluid drains out
Run hoses from power steering rack into a vented catch can
Mount catch can somewhere (like on your firewall)

The vented catch can allows your steering rack to remain lubed with PS fluid, and it keeps wheel movement from building up pressure in the steering rack. If you seal things up, you can build up pressure in areas of the power steering rack and possibly cause some damage, not to mention make steering very stiff and difficult.

i did the catchcan thing, works great! :)

here is the only shot i really have of it, its the resivior attached to my strut tower on the drivers side. has 1 tube that comes out of it, Y's into 2 tubes to connect where the 2 hoses were for the pump.

and don't knock my injector wiring, i had it like that to drive down to the dyno... 550cc RC's + stock ecu = bad, so temp wired in the stock injectors :)
s4074d0c5c3518.jpg

Do any of you know of any non PS racks that I could buy or get out of a junked car? or are they going to mount differrently?

B16 - I was wondering what that reservoir was when you posted your swap pics. Thanks

Originally posted by MikeBergy@May 13 2004, 02:47 PM
Do any of you know of any non PS racks that I could buy or get out of a junked car? or are they going to mount differrently?

B16 - I was wondering what that reservoir was when you posted your swap pics. Thanks

there is a write up on honda tech about it, part numbers are there. i had also posted links to those threads before, you should be able to search for them.

and also, i would keep the ps rack if i were you, even though the pump is not hooked up. this is because the ps racks have a closer ratio, less turns lock to lock.

and also, i would keep the ps rack if i were you, even though the pump is not hooked up. this is because the ps racks have a closer ratio, less turns lock to lock.

I never thought of that, cool info.

Back