PS2 HDLoader... who has used it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've never used it myself, but this is what I've found out through some research I did a while back:

Can't use it for online games
Can't use it for games that are dual layer DVDs (not too many)

It works for maybe 50% of the stuff out there.

I still would have gotten it if I had an older PS2. It won't work with the new slim. You have to have the old PS2 and the network adapter to use it, and you have to have one of the older Maxtor IDE drives. Any other brand has the connectors in the wrong location to plug into the network adapter. Oh- the biggest you can use is 120GB, but that should be plenty of space for the games that you're going to be able to rip with the HDLoader utility.

Calesta said:
I've never used it myself, but this is what I've found out through some research I did a while back:

Can't use it for online games
Can't use it for games that are dual layer DVDs (not too many)

It works for maybe 50% of the stuff out there.

I still would have gotten it if I had an older PS2. It won't work with the new slim. You have to have the old PS2 and the network adapter to use it, and you have to have one of the older Maxtor IDE drives. Any other brand has the connectors in the wrong location to plug into the network adapter. Oh- the biggest you can use is 120GB, but that should be plenty of space for the games that you're going to be able to rip with the HDLoader utility.

I have found workarounds for getting dual layer games to work. Since Champions of Norrath is both dual layer and one of my faves, you can imagine that I put time into finding out how to make it happen. Basically you rip each layer seperately on the PC, make an oversized single layer image out of them and then use your PC to dump the image to your drive via WinHIIP. (Apparently trying to change layers on a hard drive pisses it off :lol:)

As for the new PS2, there is a version of the program called USBExtreme that allows the use of USB external drives for game storage.

I've already got a fat Maxtor drive stuffed in my PS2, the program should be here in a few days.

I did a ton of research after making this thread :):):)

I've got the HDD Loader... I like it. Makes loading games SOOO much faster. I have about 50 games on it... There are some that don't work, but most will work one way or another... GT4 I could not get to work, and Socom 2 you can't play online with it... Socom 1 I could though...

I should fire it up one of these days... haven't used the HD in like a year now.

ScrapinSi said:
I've got the HDD Loader... I like it. Makes loading games SOOO much faster. I have about 50 games on it... There are some that don't work, but most will work one way or another... GT4 I could not get to work, and Socom 2 you can't play online with it... Socom 1 I could though...

I should fire it up one of these days... haven't used the HD in like a year now.

GT4 is a DVD9 game, you need to flatten the image first.

I can't use the HDLoader because I have a slim PS2- so it's better (and cheaper) for me to just chip the system and burn all my games. That way I don't have to worry about what does and doesn't work with the mod.

Well, I've had my loader for about a week and hooo boy it's worth it's weight in gold! On top of backing up games to the HDD for fast load times, etc... all the extra applications and emulators out there make it even more worthwhile. Going to install a media player that allows mp3/divx/xvid files to be played across the network from whatever shares I have opened (that + freenas for the win).

Also Cal... I got a chance to play Okami. It's a beautiful game, like watching a story through a painting. Definitely one to get here in the future when it gets translated.

Calesta said:
Damn. I'll have to find a way to get USBExtreme to work.
There is a kit to add a hard drive to the slim PS2. It includes a new case and the cabling for the drive, however it does require a bit more solder magic that most are willing to undertake. Not sure how skilled you are with an iron but it could be an option.

EDIT: Picture (yes it comes in other colors than clear.

hdd-connect.jpg

Last edited:
Soldering isn't a problem. I'm class 3 military spec certified for solder and rework. ;)

Got a link to the kit?

Calesta said:
Soldering isn't a problem. I'm class 3 military spec certified for solder and rework. ;)

Got a link to the kit?

XCM HD Connect with 120GB, 160GB, or 200GB Hard Drive! Perfect for Slimline Version 12 PSTwo! / ModChipStore.com

Just had to ask about your soldering skills... most people will tell you they can do all sorts of work and just wind up breaking whatever they try to work on, especially with surface mount components.

I wish that thing used a 2.5" hard drive, it would probably eliminate the extra PSU and get rid of the extra thickness of the kit. Ah well.

Damn. That is WAY too expensive. I can get a Ghost2 mod chip and fry my PS2 soldering it in, then still have enough money to buy another one.

I said it was possible, never said it was cheap :)

For cheap and effective, go with USBExtreme. It also makes loading import and homebrew games a lot easier. No pulling the PS2 and your PC apart to juggle drives.

Back