Psudo CTR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

friz

Can I use a B16a block with ctr pistons, eagle rods, stock crank, and GSR oil pump? Want something high reving and bullet proof. Any suggestions. Plan on building the head with CTR cams, heavy springs and retainers.

Edit-- did some research on the ctr pistons. I don't want the clearance problems and super high compression. Does any one have any experience with a B16a all motor build?

compression will be a little higher then the ctr, and the R/s ratio will be lower then the CTR's. it will work though. do you have a specific question?

I want it to wind up to 9500 without issue. It seems like my b16 runs out of revs when it just gets going. I have heard that the stock oil pump doesn't cut it for the high revs. Is this true?. I need to run 91 octane so the compression cant be too high. Any suggestions.

get an ls or b20 block and put your b16 head on it you need more displacement, I'm pretty sure your b16 oil and water pump are fine. as far as bulletproofing the motor forged internals, dual valve springs, and titanium retainers. If you plan on spinning your motor up to 9.5 k get cams that make power that far in the power band.

Quoted post[/post]]
Why do you need to get up to 9500?
With the stock Sir II setup, you have a limited window to shift if you are going to stay in V-tec through the gears, so I regularly push it to the rev limiter. I want to safely push that higher. Not to mention I have to shift into forth at the end of the 1/4 would rather be able to stay in third. I also really enjoy telling people that they were beat by a 1.6l.

What kind of numbers could I expect with the CRV-TEC? Whats the redline on this setup? I'm not married to the B16, but I love it's rev happy nature.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Why do you need to get up to 9500?
With the stock Sir II setup, you have a limited window to shift if you are going to stay in V-tec through the gears, so I regularly push it to the rev limiter. I want to safely push that higher. Not to mention I have to shift into forth at the end of the 1/4 would rather be able to stay in third. I also really enjoy telling people that they were beat by a 1.6l.

What kind of numbers could I expect with the CRV-TEC? Whats the redline on this setup? I'm not married to the B16, but I love it's rev happy nature.

b16's are like dating a bitch with big tits and no ass, all top end. you need to do something about the block to get some torque. definitely look towards a cr/vtec or ls/vtec. get some more torque and enjoy revving a little more.

Does anyone have numbers for a CRV-tec? To start, stock block with stock b16 head.

remember these results are to the wheels a b16 will put about 97 torque to the wheels and about 140 horse. an lsvtec with high compression pistons, cams, h/i/e you'll be putting at least 170 to the wheels and about 130 torque

Quoted post[/post]]
remember these results are to the wheels a b16 will put about 97 torque to the wheels and about 140 horse. an lsvtec with high compression pistons, cams, h/i/e you'll be putting at least 170 to the wheels and about 130 torque

i agree with above.....you may hear that b16's have like 160 hp but thats at the flywheel...that does not mean that the crvtec will make 140 at the flywheel :p .....just go ls-vtec and call it a day

I'd just stay with the b16 bottom end. The vtec oil and water pumps should be fine for you. The bottom end should be fine for 9500 with proper balancing and a good set of forged rods and new bearings. stock crank will be fine. why ctr pistons? get some forged CPs or Wisecos since you are going to have the bottom end torn apart. I don't think the CTR cams will make power above the stock CTR redline, so you will probably be wasting your time revving that high with those cams. I'd talk to rocket motorsports to see what he recommend for what you are doing. If I were in your situation, I'd go with RM M22 or M24x cams with the RM springs and Ti retainers. It's proven power, a good package, and a good price, at only like 900 and some change for brand new cams, springs and retainers. They WILL make power at or near 9500. Screw LS/vtec unless you already have the stuff. LS/vtecs and CRvtecs are good for everyday driving because of the torque and the wide powerband it offers. It also helps inexperienced racers at the track, because you don't have to know when to shift to win races. The b16 will hold it's own at the track against larger motors if you have the proper gearing and proper technique. Just keep in mind that there are several 200whp b16a setups out there that use stock bottom ends withouta turbo. It's all in your tune and the proper components. Just my .02

Thanks Mike, that the info I was looking for. I will definately look into your suggestions. Would you mind if I PM'ed you for some particulars as I get closer to doing something?

no worries...pm me if you need to. If I can't answer your questions, I can refer you to some people who definitely can.

if you're going N/A why whould you do it in a 1.6L? yeah he could do good with proper gearing and technique but he could do better with proper gearing, technique and more displacement.

Quoted post[/post]]
if you're going N/A why whould you do it in a 1.6L? yeah he could do good with proper gearing and technique but he could do better with proper gearing, technique and more displacement.

I'm saying stay with the 1.6 because he already has the parts necessary to make good power. If he didn't have any of it, I'd say sure, go for the 1.8. But you aren't going to see huge improvements at the track going from a 1.6 to a 1.8 or even a 2.0 if the 1.6 is setup right. Not everyone wants to drop another 1200 to build a 1.8 liter block the right way, when they could just use what they have and do just as well. That's my point.

you are definately going to see improvements going from a 1.6L to a 2.0 and If he is going to invest money into a block don't invest in a b16. drop an extra 300-500 for a b20 block and crank and GE ls vtec kit.

Back