Puddle > my car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ericL

I drove through a huge puddle (unintentionally) i don't have a CAI just a short ram otherwise I would have hydrolocked...

But, I think some water must have gotten in. The engine seemed like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders when any kind of load was put on the engine. BUT it idled fine and if you reved slowly in neutral it was clean. So I let it idle and reved a little and steam came out the exhaust. Would having an exhaust full of water cause this problem? The puddle or river rather was about 10 inches deep and easily could have come in the exhaust...

Today I started it and it ran fine so I drove it...I noticed that from 2000-3500 rpm it hesitates/has less than normal power, also vtec kicks in a little late. although once vtec kicks in it's fine. WTF is up and what can I do to fix it...keep driving it?

water dosnt normally get in the exhaust from driving through a puddle. change the plugs and wires, see what happens then. i wouldnt beat on your car if its not running right if you have a problem the last thing you should be worried about is when v-tec is kicking in

This works for my buddy a while back. But i havent seen him since he did it so maybe i should call him to see how he is doing but.. Turn on your car and let it idle. If it idles fine let it be but if it starts to idle real rough run to the back of your car. Place your mouth on the exhaust pipe and suck out all the air. Dont worry its not dangerous because the exhaust takes a little while to get hot so you cant really get burned. Once you have sucked out al the water you should be fine. Good luck :)

Originally posted by YouKnowWhoIBee@Sep 26 2005, 06:25 PM
This works for my buddy a while back. But i havent seen him since he did it so maybe i should call him to see how he is doing but.. Turn on your car and let it idle. If it idles fine let it be but if it starts to idle real rough run to the back of your car. Place your mouth on the exhaust pipe and suck out all the air. Dont worry its not dangerous because the exhaust takes a little while to get hot so you cant really get burned. Once you have sucked out al the water you should be fine. Good luck :)
[post=560700]Quoted post[/post]​

WTF? :lol: :lol: you ever heard of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

Originally posted by YouKnowWhoIBee@Sep 26 2005, 06:25 PM
[post=560700]Quoted post[/post]​

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH thats the stupidest thing i heard all day...... congrats..if buddy does that and lives i will be surprised, and impressed

It was a joke... lol. Honestly if you are serious it is messed up, tear apart the motor till you find water. I dont think water can get from the exhaust through the exhaust manifold and into your motor. Thats alot of twists and turns and no suctions helping it along. Dont worry about it though. I have seen though a cracked block when off roading in a jeep. We hit a "stream" and decided to go through it. Well needless to say the jeep ran piss poor for a minute then stopped running all together. I guess the water was too much for the hot motor. <_< not my car though :)

Quoted post[/post]]

That was a completely useless post...and no I'm not serious it's messed up I like making shit up and wasting time posting..(sarcasm)

Obviously it wouldn't go into the exhasut and into the motor the physics of that are impossible but if the exhaust was completely filled with water the backpressure would be insanly high (water isn't compressible and the exhaust gas would have nowhere to go) I have to imagine it would make the engine run like shit..

I ran it again and there is no more steam coming out, and it runs and idles smooth but there is still the hesitation from 2000-3500 rpm...it's not bad but it's noticable...

once i got my prelude wet like that, i drove it on the freeway for like 15 miles at pretty high RPMs to burn off any water that may have been on anything electrical.
Yep it was a bad idea, but it worked after about mile 14.

Quoted post[/post]]
That was a completely useless post...and no I'm not serious it's messed up I like making shit up and wasting time posting..(sarcasm)
go screw yourself dumbass. I am not the stupid one who drove my car in 10 inches of water. You are on a forum with 40,000 real people and they have real lives to attend to. You are not here with 40000 mechanics. I posted a joke and thought it was funny. Get your head out of your ass and you might have thought it was funny also. Didnt i then post how i would go about really fixing it? Didnt i give you suggestions and my thoughts. Stop crying over a stupid mistake that you made. And fix it or sell it bottom line. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
go screw yourself dumbass. I am not the stupid one who drove my car in 10 inches of water. You are on a forum with 40,000 real people and they have real lives to attend to. You are not here with 40000 mechanics. I posted a joke and thought it was funny. Get your head out of your ass and you might have thought it was funny also. Didnt i then post how i would go about really fixing it? Didnt i give you suggestions and my thoughts. Stop crying over a stupid mistake that you made. And fix it or sell it bottom line. :)
Okay dude, I'm not trying to start shit, but if you want to post up jokes don't do it in a tech forum, all I'm saying is it was pointless to post something that. And yea, when the road is out and it's practically a monsoon out it's kinda hard to see where there is 0.5" of water and 10", yea my bad for driving in the rain lol, and two other people called you on it so don't get all pissy at me...and yes i'm trying to fix it which is why I posted a serious question to see if anyone else has had a similar problem before I start blindly tearing apart my engine. Advice to you, grow up and go harass some other post. But on the other side, thank you for reposting serious advice.

Back on topic, I took off the intake and the inside of the tube was wet so I have to imagine some water got in...if I just let it run will this burn off or do I have to tear it down?

you should have no reason to rip the motor down, check your oil, or to be on the safe side you can change your oil but the chances of there being water in there are slim to none...

give your car a tune up

i am willing to bet if you pulled the cap there's water in there...
you should also make sure the dizzy is completely dry inside...

idk if it dried out or whether water didn't get in but the cap and dizzy was completely dry on the inside...it's not hesitating anymore though..i'm def. lucky nothing major happened...

Back