pulling motor from burnt shell. what to look for?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MrXclusivE

I am going to check out a b18c1 on sunday and possibly try to make a deal, here's a list of what the seller says is done to the motor:

Type R pistons
Type R cams
Type R valvetrain
Type R valve cover
New headgasket
New bearings
New piston rings

my question is, how can I verify all that cams, valvetrain etc. are type R?

My other question is, the car's interior burnt for some reason but the motor somehow escaped "unharmed", is this going to have an adverse effect on the motor? is it going to be a PITA to sort out the wiring later on? can I re-use my Y7 harness with this motor ands run the v-tec wires to my plug, then convert OBD2>OBD1 > plug into obd1 chipped ecu, and get it tuned right. Am I missing something? =)

here's a pic of the damage:

Crispyparts018.jpg

CrispyHypeR.jpg

thanks in advance!

that sux about the car.. do you know how it caught on fire?

and about the parts.. from the look of it, he had several type r parts and spent some money.. so' i'd believe it

from what i can see, the motor looks untouched.. maybe a few melted wires on the back side..

checking internal parts will of course require some disassembly. you can check and see if it has dual valve springs on both the intake and exhaust side... im pretty sure only type rs have them on both. the cams you can tell them by the way the end of the cam looks on the distributor side. do some searching you will find breakdowns of how to determine honda oem cams... ive looked before but dont rememember the details.

as far as the engine i dont see why you would have any problems, if there are any wires burnt, replace them, and if necessary the component they are attached to.

I would be worried about any rubber seals which would be the first to go from the heat

I would be worried about any rubber seals which would be the first to go from the heat
plastic dizzy cap didnt melt i wouldnt worry about the heat

and yes you will be able to make your harness work just fine it will be a piece of cake

Mmmm car-bacue. I dont see how the fire damaged the motor in any way. How much is the guy charging you for the swap?

Mmmm car-bacue. I dont see how the fire damaged the motor in any way. How much is the guy charging you for the swap?

I'm hoping he'll settle for $1500 (Canadian) or so for the motor/tranny. Engine work was apparantly done by zerolift in ohio, do you have any experience with them by any chance?

No, but it does sound failiar, what part of Ohio is it in?

They have a nice site, like I said Ive heard the name before, but Ive never talked to anyone that has done bussines through them. And for $1500 I would be all over it, even if it doesnt have the Type-R parts, that is still a good deal for a GS-R swap.

I know, whats scaring ppl away from this I think is that the guy says it had a ticking noise, but I'm sure its not a big deal. Also, I will have to tune it again since the ecu burned in the fire. I'm just going to order the chipped ecu from phearable.net then obd2>obd1 harness. what I'll have to figure out is if the motor is obd2 or obd1 and if the dizzy plugs will work with my d16 harness.

valves would be my first guess. if the valves are slightly out of adjustment (which happens a lot on b series) you will hear some valve tick. ask the guy if hes ever done a valve adjustment or had one done.

^ he apparently got valves adjusted but noise didn't go away :s

My B16 is noisey, Ive stethescoped it and its not the bottom end, top end, it just has a ticking noise to it. :dunno:

ive never been able to hear the injectors over all the other noise on a b series but i suppose its a possibility. all injectors do make a clicking sound.

efhondakid has a good point, you can use a stethoscope to find where noises are coming from. i have a craftsman one that has come in handy. i work on outboard boat engines for a living and they are so loud its hard to tell where any sound is coming from without it.

Back