pulling motor from burnt shell. what to look for?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Doesn't the engine have to be on to check with the stethoscope? It won't help me much in this situation then I guess..

Honda injectors ticking is a normal thing.. i thought i need a valve adjustment too.. but turns out i didnt

ahh ok hopefully its nothing serious.

ps. Any idea if I can grab that radiator from his car and re-use it in my ek hatch?

bump! heres the update, we drove all the way there to get the engine, it looked all nice and shiny and all with the shiny red itr valve cover :) and we agree'd on price and everything and the guy said how it ran perfect and all before he pulled the motor so I was pretty much sold. moved the engine out to load it on the car but last min we decided to do a compression test to be 100% sure, I had already bought the test kit from part source in the morning. we ran cables from my car's battery to the starter and proper ground, jumped the motor 5-6 strokes, cylinder 1 reads 210 psi, fair enough, move on to the next:

cyl2= 40psi !!! wtf?
cyl3= 35psi
cyl4= 45 psi !!

ok can't be! move back to cyl #1 again reads 210 psi exact! ok lets add some oil through spark plug holes:

cyl #4 = 60 psi
cyl#3 = 40 psi
cyl #2 = 60 psi
cyl #1 = 215 psi

so I just backed out of the deal, he was still trying to convince me that the motor is perfect and how its dry because its been sitting there for 2 months but I could smell some bs there, so basically drove 3 hrs there, 3 hrs back with no motor :(

I'm just glad i spent that $30 on the comp tester, saved my ass big time I think! or is this kind of numbers something normal with a motor thats been sitting for a while? cyl#1 read 210 though so there was obviously something up with the other ones i assumed. :confused:

just realized we were doing compression with the trottle closed! would this make that big of a difference?

thanks. any idea if throttle being closed would be reason for the very inconsistent numbers? I still can't believe we got those numbers!

Back