Pulling the motor, physically?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeremiahm

Is there a hook/bracket available to bolt on for an engine hoist? Or do you just wrap some chains around it "hillbilly style?"

Does anyone have an order of operations for pulling a motor? Which engine brackets do you do first, what do you take off first, things like those?

The cars I'm swapping between are a 98 civic and a 95 civic.

I take everything off except for the mounts. I then attach the hoist to a bolt on the right side of the intake, and the left furthest of the exhaust. Drivers side mount and t-bracket first, then the drivers side tranny mount last. the engine will tilt towards the transmission side and avoid contact with the car this way.

yup, hand-tight the chain to a bolt back in the block. try to attach to the root of the weight, not an appendage (like the intake mani, or altnator, etc) so as to reduce stresses.

thanks.

How heavy is the motor, roughly? I'm sure it's not as heavy as a small block chevy, right?

Should I pull the motor and the transmission together? Is that easier? Or do I leave the transmission in the car?

together.. once the axles are unattached it'll lift right out

Back