Put my Civic on the Dyno today... (Video Included)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slo86GT

Super Moderator
The 300 club. w00t! :)

First of all, I want to give a great big THANK YOU to the guys at Dynospeed in Memphis, TN for setting up the dyno day today for our local forums, Memphis Racing Scene. It was really appreciated and I know the coolers of drinks were a great addition as well. Keep up the great work, guys!

My long term project car has been giving me fits for the last two days trying to get it ready for this dyno day, but it actually made it. I know I wasn't the only one who was shocked to see it actually in the parking lot, then eventually on the dyno, just because of ongoing, nagging issues.

My previous dyno tune on the car was with a less than adequite water to air intercooler setup. It was VERY undersized for the application, and it shows, now that I have new numbers to go by. The best run on that setup was 264whp/193wtq. A pic of that old graph can be seen HERE. I upgraded to a Precision Turbo and Engine "600 hp" model intercooler; their mid sized core. It fit very well behind the bumper with some major bumper support modifications (done by Polk Performance. Thanks, Don) and some very interesting piping. Somehow it all fits in the engine bay.

The car didn't feel all that powerful on the way to dynospeed because of the temperatures, I'm sure. I guess I'm just used to it, because the results definitely put a smile on my face.

Here's the new dyno plot:

325 whp / 226 wtq (the 261 wtq was a fluke on the reading)
civicdyno082705s.jpg

And the car, for reference:
civic01.jpg

This intercooler upgrade was the BEST dollar per horsepower mod I've ever done. I have roughly $900 in the intercooler, piping and labor, and it made about 60 more horsies AT THE WHEELS at the same boost pressure as before. Not a bad investment at all, eh? =)

With a bit of tuning to get this down to a 12.5 a/f ratio, and some relief from this HEAT, I can see 350 whp being not too far off in the future.

Engine Setup:
Stock b16 block overbored .5mm
STR blockguard
Eagle rods
Endyne/Wiseco pistons
Stock head
GSR cams
Strength matched stock/ITR valvesprings
ITR Intake manifold
JG 64mm TB
Inline Pro manifold
Precision Turbo SC34 turbo (.57 trim, .60 a/r compressor; Stage 3, .63 a/r exhaust)
Precision Turbo "600 hp" Intercooler
35mm TiAl wastegate w/ open dump tube
Precision Performance Custom 2.5" to 3" downpipe
Thermal 3" exhaust with test pipe
15 PSI

Thanks for reading.

[EDIT] Video is HERE. My car is the last on the video, obviously. 52mb! And yes. The person who made the video is a nutcase. :) [/EDIT]

No, it's not. She popped an axle boot ON the dyno, spinning at 140 mph at redline, so I've got a little work to do before my 4k mile old axle bearings eat some road grit. I'll probably have it at the track over the next week or two, though.

Your torque curve makes me horny, very flat, I bet its a monster and still pretty damn driveable.

that car needs to be tuned; your afr is too jumpy and yuou really should get that into the 12s under boost

I thought so too. 13.xxx: 1 seems too lean for a boosted car. You car is probably running real strong but a tad unsafe. Thats just me

Originally posted by FFCiv@Aug 28 2005, 10:50 AM
that car needs to be tuned; your afr is too jumpy and yuou really should get that into the 12s under boost
[post=546304]Quoted post[/post]​

Also, it's flat .. but look what he's doing at 4500 rpm, where I can be commonly found.

Holy hell in a handbag - at 4500 rpm my Civic has about 70 hp and I can pass people with ease. This car must be a fuckin BEAST on the highway.

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 28 2005, 12:44 PM
Also, it's flat .. but look what he's doing at 4500 rpm, where I can be commonly found.

Holy hell in a handbag - at 4500 rpm my Civic has about 70 hp and I can pass people with ease. This car must be a fuckin BEAST on the highway.
[post=546337]Quoted post[/post]​

doesnt your civic spin somewhere around 10k now though....

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 28 2005, 12:44 PM

[post=546337]Quoted post[/post]​

I spin mine up to 9k, and from 5k-9k, it's AMAZING. I beat up a C5 vette that runs LOW 13's @ 110mph pretty badly on a cool night the other day... We went from a 40 punch. He of course got the drop on me by half a car because I had to spool, and when it did, I lit up second gear to redline, grabbed third and pulled him like a Civic Si vs a Civic DX. Literally, I had him with 5-6 car lengths between us by 110-120 mph.

:eek:

I know the car is running very lean. I am going to use this graph to increase fule in the tables where it needs it by 15% or more where the peaks are. The car has not even heard of tuning since I put the new intercooler on. I put my "cool weather" tune from the water/air intercooler in it, but even that apparently was nowhere near enough fuel, I can see. I have NO signs of detonation on the plugs, but I know the cylinders much be getting HOT HOT HOT. I'm glad I invested in the ceramic coatings on my pistons now. :fosho:

With tuning you I think you would see another 50 HP easy.

I'm still trying to SELL my car, and it is for SALE, so thanks for hexing me, bastard. :p

I wanna see what it'll run on the Drag Radials with this new power... If I break 118 or 120 mph even, I'll be going nuts!

you'll probably LOSE some power when you richen it up-- but it will be much safer.

add in some fuel like you want, then watch your egt's and tweak the ignition up top.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Aug 28 2005, 11:43 PM
I'm still trying to SELL my car, and it is for SALE, so thanks for hexing me, bastard. :p

I wanna see what it'll run on the Drag Radials with this new power... If I break 118 or 120 mph even, I'll be going nuts!
[post=546590]Quoted post[/post]​

Well if it makes you feel any better, after I sold my car the guy who bought it ran it amost weekly at the track trying to break it so he could step up the bore size.

it took over a year to break something engine wise.

11 sec passes over and over and over and over and over. now 10 sec passes over and over and over =)

his 570WHP Owns Joo

B16 SIR motor =) 88-91

Originally posted by jeffie7+Aug 28 2005, 11:56 PM-->
@Aug 28 2005, 11:43 PM
I'm still trying to SELL my car, and it is for SALE, so thanks for hexing me, bastard.  :p

Well if it makes you feel any better, after I sold my car the guy who bought it ran it amost weekly at the track trying to break it so he could step up the bore size.

11 sec passes over and over and over and over and over. now 10 sec passes over and over and over =)

his 570WHP Owns Joo

B16 SIR motor =) 88-91
[post=546597]Quoted post[/post]​

But YOU never did that, did you, Jeffie? You had to sell your car before it ever saw it's true potential because you are a 350z driving motrosexual that can't make a decision with his life if it was biting you in the ass. You just throw money at things.

How 'bout them apples?

Originally posted by SiR Kid+Aug 29 2005, 12:05 AM-->
Originally posted by jeffie7@Aug 28 2005, 11:56 PM
SiR Kid
@Aug 28 2005, 11:43 PM

his 570WHP Owns Joo

B16 SIR motor =) 88-91
[post=546597]Quoted post[/post]​

But YOU never did that, did you, Jeffie? You had to sell your car before it ever saw it's true potential because you are a 350z driving motrosexual that can't make a decision with his life if it was biting you in the ass. You just throw money at things.

How 'bout them apples?
[post=546603]Quoted post[/post]​

If I didnt sell it, it would have blown up. That is just how it works. you will see.

Back