Put your Honda EXPERTISE to the test

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Teambypass

Hi guys, sad days for me. I had my car almost fully built...lol... and just about to install a pair of skunk2 stage2 cams with springs and retain(just arrived two days ago). Unfortunately, up here the weather is -30 below zero and windshild is -55 below zero. After half a day of trying to start my car, I finally got it to start.(not to mention that I missed classes for three days and my instructors are emailing a bouch of assignments.) after I got my car started, I went to Checker to buy oil since the dipstick register low on oil. When I exited Checker and emerge into a two way streets two lanes on each direaction and I speed up and I watched my RPM reach 5000RPM on first and second gears, I tell you, the car runs smooth until I get home and hear this loud noise coming from the engine. I check the oil again and there was way too much oil. I have to jack up the car and drain some oil out, it was cold but I have to do it. After draining some oil out the noise died down a bit and continue to growth louder and louder. It sounds like I blew some valves or a piston, I dont know. My roomate told me that the sound was coming from the tranny so I have no idea what's wrong now. If its the tranny, then thats a minor problem, I could just order an LSD, but what I am worry about is that I dont know whats wrong with the car now so I couldnt fix it. I could only drive 20mph and the sound gets louder as i speed up. Its suck when you are miles away from home. I am more than 2hrs away from home and I miss my garage now. There is no much to guide you guys to pin point whats wrong with my car, except the loud noise coming from the tranny. Oh one more thing, when I drive, it feels like there is no presure, my car picks up slow like my compression is low, so i might have blow a piston or so.....I am hoping that you guys might have an idea whats wrong. thank you for your help.

No clue... the best thing would be to record the sound as clearly as possibly and host it here for people to hear.

I believe too much oil can make the oil foam and then starve the engine for oil...

not sure on this exactly but i know too much oil can lead to oil starvation in the motor...

good luck...

motor could be knocking, I wouldnt' drive it, have it thoroughly checked out by a certified honda mechanic

do a compression and leak down test. does it make this noise when the car is sitting still as well? try jacking it up onto jackstands and get under it while someone is revving the motor to try and pinpoint the source of the sound.

Yes, do the compression test first to make sure that the piston rings and head gasket are good... I would jack up the front of the car, put it on jack stands, pull the wheels off, and start it. If it makes the sound without the car in gear, its probably a bottom end knock, caused by a bad main or rod bearing. If it only makes the noise with your tranny in gear, Then its the tranny. Easy diagnostic..........

is it like a really loud really fast "clickclickclickclick" sound coming from the tranny? check the oil in your tranny...thats EXACTLY what mine did before it seized up. drove normally for an hour or so, then started makin that noise, and then it locked. does the noise go away when you depress the clutch?

Thanks guys for all of the replies. I would love to take it to any dealer to check it, but I dont know if Honda or Acura dealer would check it since up here there is no smog check and the motor is not an original motor, beside dealer might not work on any modified car that is not emmision legal. YEAH, THE NOISE IS PRESENT WHEN THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL AND RUNNING. SHIFTING INTO GEAR IS AT EASE WITH NO GRINDING OR NOISE. FIRST, I WILL DO THE COMPRESSION TEST AND THEN TAKE IT TO MY ANGINE SERVICE CLASS AT SCHOOL FOR THEM TO CHECK, ITS FREE AND WE ONLY CHARGE FOR LABOR WE GET PARTS FOR CHEAP. THANKS GUYS

no, not when it's in neutral.

just whenever the clutch isnt depressed. on mine, any time the clutch wasnt in it made the noise, and when i pressed the clutch the noise went away (because it was disengaging the tranny or whatever). go out and let your car sit in neutral, and hold in the clutch. if the noise goes away when you hold the clutch in, congratulations. you've got a burned-out tranny.

thanks civicious, i hope its a bad tranny because I alway wanted an LSD and now I have a reason for. oh yeah, the noise is on when car is running on neutral and when driving. When drive, shifting between 1st and 2nd gears, there is no griding or noise but the noise from the tranny continue. since I only go up to 20mph and didnt try to shift to higher gear, I will do so when I get home. Oh by the way, nice LSD you got. if my tranny is bad, i soon will have an LSD too.

you should like...not drive your car if thats what it is dude...

mine locked up in the middle of 2 lanes of lunch-hour traffic.

when you decide to go ahead and shell out some cash for an lsd tranny, call Sergio at Fastlane (805)739-0272 in Santa Maria...he'll give you a pretty good deal, and he's really cool too (had my tranny here in 3 days). oh, and tell him Will from Texas referred you to him :D

Thanks you all guys for the helps. I went home and tried all the techniques you guys suggested and unfortunately, the noise grow louder so I shut it off and covered it up with a car cover and have a couple nightsless sleep. couple days after, I starte it up again and it took me like 15 minutes to get it start and the noise went away mysteriously with no explanation but its also lead to a new problem......I will mention it here but I think it would be best to start a new post. the noise went away but i do the copression test and the following results. 4-pistion=120 3-piston=120, 2piston=130, and 1-piston=130 any idea whats happening?? please look for my new post for futher details

Those numbers don't look too bad for compression, so it probably isnt your rings or head gasket.
Nobody mentioned this, but did you make sure you valve lash and stuff was all adjusted right, cause if the rockers are all loose then it will make a shit load of noise.

Back