putting a different distributor in...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Crx_sm0ker

hey well, when i bought the car it had a 7 wire distributor but comes factory with a 5 wire, and the 7 wire went out got another 5wire and dont know how to hook it back up to the ECU.... if you have any advice please let me know

Please help us better answer your question by providing more details about your setup and/or your problem.

For example, please post the following:
  • car: year, make, model, trim
  • engine / transmission / ecu
  • basic mods list that applies or may apply to your question
  • fuel management, etc, and anything else that may apply to your question.
Also, please specify what is wrong or what you need help with EXACTLY. Doing this will help you get a better answer to your question.

Thanks,
The Moderating Team

Oh yeah! Its an 89 honda crx si, has a 1.6l in it, 5spd., and im not exactly sure what all mods are done to it, i don't know anything about ECU's but had a friend look at it, it has a massive cool air intake, i know that is hookd up to the ecu, but when we tried to hook the 5 wire back up*we got out of a 91 civic* we noticed that there was a couple wires that were missing from the ECU.. the 2 we know of came off the old distributor and we duno what else we could do. should there be 2 spots on the ECU that dont have wires hooked up since we took it off????

crx_sm0ker

man im so fuckin lost, your cold air intake is hooked up to your ecu??

you took out your old distributor and now you have two wires missing at the ecu??
explain again....

man like i said, i know jack about ECU's, friend said somethin bout the intake bein hookd up to the ecu in some fasion, but any ways, the 7 wire dist. went out and i got another one off a civic, it has 5 wires on it, I got a diagram of what goes where on the ECU, i now just need to figure out what wires on the dist. go to inside of it, to hook them to the ecu the right way.... if that helps now

Originally posted by Crx_sm0ker@Feb 17 2005, 08:51 PM
man like i said, i know jack about ECU's, friend said somethin bout the intake bein hookd up to the ecu in some fasion, but any ways, the 7 wire dist. went out and i got another one off a civic, it has 5 wires on it, I got a diagram of what goes where on the ECU, i now just need to figure out what wires on the dist. go to inside of it, to hook them to the ecu the right way.... if that helps now
[post=462344]Quoted post[/post]​

oh, alright. the wires on the distributor side of the connectors are for the sensors inside and the coil.
the two wire connector for the distributor is for the power to teh dizzy. the large one is for the sensors.

here are the colours and where they need to
ready for this????
two wire connector, blue goes to the ignition control module )or ignitor inside the dizzy. this device has 4 terminals sticking out of it, 3 on top and 1 on the side.
the blue wire is your tach signal wire. (incase you wan an aftermarket tach)
the yellow and green wire goes to the "icm 1" pin on the ecu and also goes into the ignitor or ICM inside the dizzy. its usually gray or black

the 5 wire connector is as follows

ORANGE and WHITE both go to CYP sensor inside dizzy

Orange/blue and White/blue go to TDC sensor in dizzy

Blue/Green and Blue/yellow go to CKP sensor in the dizzy.

these three pairs of whires are a good way to test each sensor, each sensor should have continuity between them.

example, if orange and white dont have continuity through teh distributor than the sensor is bad and your dizzy is screwed.

better now??

oka, will give that a try, hopefully it will work
thanx again

Back