putting in the new(er) tranny tomorrow

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davets

So I'm putting in my newer tranny tomorrow and have a few questions. It's the L3(stock, i belive) tranny going on a stock d15b1

Are there any trouble spots that I should be aware of? Particulary rusty bolts?

Should I pull the engine first and then the tranny, or both at once?

And how should I go about disconnecting the axle from the tranny?

Also anything else you guys might know about this that could make things go easier.

Loosesn the axle nut. You need to pop the lower ball joint free to move or remove the axle, use a prybar/big ass screwdriver to pry the trans side out. It's only held in by a C-clip.

You'll encounter some tight bolts, but nothing that should be seriously hard to break loose except possibly the DP to Cat bolts, you're gonna end up having to cut them.

I've replaced the trans with the motor in the car and with out. it's MUCH easier with the engine out, and to pull them as a couple.

Quoted post[/post]]
Don't forget to take off the starter.

lol, that screwed me up the first time. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come apart.

Are you doing an engine swap? If not, you don't have to take the whole engine out, just the tranny.

For the axle nuts, unstake them (there is a tab that has been endented to keep them on. Undo that tab with a chissle or a screwdriver) If you don't have air tools, punch the centercap out of your wheels, then put them back on then lower the car. This will make it so when you turn the nut, the wheel won't spin. Then use a LONG bar if you can't break them loose.

For the lower ball joint, do this...

http://www.craigbooth.com/honda_ball_joint.php

Then just make sure have take all the bolts out all the way around and any wire harnesses (some wireing harness for the engine are also bolted to the tranny)

Back