Putting Together a Turbo Kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

I'm not a newb towards cars, but somewhat a newb towards turbocharging one. My brother just got a hold of a "Greddy" intercooler, a wastegate, a manifold, and some dohickie with 3 NTP fittings. Anyway, i just want your guys' opinions and suggestions. Oh and i want to try to keep this under 1000 with the parts i already have. Plan to make around 200whp on shitty 91 Cali pump gas and be around 6-7psi with stock block. Oh yeah, and i dont what kind of flange i have for the manifold, but i will put pictures up soon so you guys can see what kind of parts he really has.

Turbo: Suggestions need for all the flange types. Ive only known of T25 and T3.

Wastegate: Looks like a Tial 38mm silver wastegate. Have to check on the spring for what psi its set too.

Manifold: Have no idea, but its not a cast iron one.

Intercooler: Supposedly a Greddy unit

Downpipe: Suggestions would help.

Piping: Any shops around the bay area that does it for cheap and good? Say around 300 for all the piping?

BOV: If budget allows, a nice Greddy unit or something a long those lines. If not a crushed 1gen DSM bypass.

Lines: Which and how many would i need besides the turbo to the oil pan. Sizes would help too.

Gaskets: Where will i need one besides on the exhaust manifold and the turbo. Is it anywhere where metal contacts metal?

Fuel: Can i keep it stock for 200whp? 240cc are stock LS ones right? Will I need a fuel pump, rail, regulator, etc??

Boost Controller: Manual one for now.

Turbo Timer: If money allows.

ECU: Have a crack at uberdata since its free plus parts to do it.

Open to ANY suggestions. This will be our first build, and we want to do it right. If 1000 is unrealistic for 200whp, please give another guesstimate. For the turbo, i want it to have good response for street use, but be good for 400 crank hp down the road. If i have forgetten any parts at all, please tell me. even if its a little gasket or line.

THANKS A WHOLE GUYS!

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Apr 12 2005, 12:08 AM

Turbo: What fits your manifold?

Wastegate: Figure out your Spring setting

Manifold: You sure it fits, and what kind of turbo flange is it? is it flanged for a wastegate even?

Intercooler: For a budget setup, any intercooler will do

Downpipe: Exhaust shop? Good luck getting it to work with A/C though, especially if you are going for 3"

Piping: Dont know, I live in FL

BOV: Somthing cheap that works. A simple tial or turboxs BOV will do

Lines: Oil filter fitting -> enter Cartridge; Center Cartridge -> Oil Pan; Wastegate->Vacuum source; Valve cover-> anywhere besides your charge piping.

Gaskets: Turbo manifold and block. NO GASKET for turbo->manifold. You will rip it to pieces and just get a nasty leak that will damage your turbo.

Fuel: Walboro/Supra pump, 450cc DSMs or 315cc Prelude VTEC imjectors (4th gen if you are peak and hold, 5th gen if you are saturated). I personally would rather have too much injector tha not enough.

Boost Controller: Manual one for now.

Turbo Timer: Not really needed. Just be thoughtful. A turbo timer is a lot like the window switch that first time nitrous users use on their cars. A nifty failsafe if you get thoughtless.

ECU: Uberdata. Super easy. PLX cheapass WBo2. Then either dyno time or an EGT probe, the EGT probe being the cheaper of the two.

[post=485993]Quoted post[/post]​

Turbo: needs to match the manifold.

Wastegate: has to fit the manifold glange

Manifold: see above two.

Intercooler: fine

Downpipe: probably gotta make your own.

Piping: jcwhitney, get some pipe that is the same size as your intercooler outlets and mendrel bends and a chop saw and couplers. build your own.

BOV: anything will do...

Lines: get one of stan's feed and return kits... http://www.fast-turbo.com you will also need to tap your pan.

Gaskets: mani to turbo, mani to WG, mani to DP

Fuel: get a walbro 255 pump, dsm 450cc injectors. you don't need a rail. home made turbo as a how-to on how to modify your rail to fit them.

Boost Controller: you dont need one. get a wastegate with a 6 or 7 psi spring in it if thats all you want to run.

Turbo Timer: just turn the car off after you've let it sit for a min. 1 min wont kill you.

ECU: go with uberdata

Open to ANY suggestions. This will be our first build, and we want to do it right. If 1000 is unrealistic for 200whp, please give another guesstimate. For the turbo, i want it to have good response for street use, but be good for 400 crank hp down the road.

do you want a moutain bike, or a track bike? you can't take the track bike in the sand. this entire setup is not ready for 400 hp, so why even consider it? when the time comes, just get a new turbo then too.

i have NO idea what motor this is going on to, so i can't even comment on how realstic 200 whp is.

its an LS....

get a t3/t4 any will do... i would go with a 58ar/60....

buy a bov from a first gen dsm and flaten it in a vice.....

call the company that made the WG and give them model or serial numbers and they should tell you what the spring is set to....i have no idea what 38mm means...lol

as far as a dp you need to get the turbo first then on ebay there is a store that sells flanges the have some one make you one...or buy one

you should be able to squeez out 200+hp
good luck

Back