Pw0 vs PR3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Has anyone used both of these ecu's and know what the differences are? I know that they came out of different cars and have different fuel maps, but are they internally the same? I am planning on getting fitted with hondata. Basically I got a pw0 in exchange for a PR4 out of my integ. I am swapping in a b16a, and the guy I got the ecu from had a b18a installed in his rex, after failing to pass carb with his b16a (guess he said it had too much jdm stuff on it, and so it was less of a hassle to swap in the b18). Anyway, it was pretty much a swap, I know the guy, so it's not a big deal if I should get the pr3 instead, I can just give the pw0 back and ask him for some $ for the pr4. My question is if there are any pinout differnces in the two, (the pr3 & pw0) and if a pw0 worked for you. I am hoping to find someone in Cali who has used the pw0 and passed CARB inspection with it, but any advice is welcome. Thanks
Mike

if youre going hondata, get the pr3. its way easier to chip than a pw0.

other than that, it offers the same ignition maps fuel cut, etc.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Apr 12 2004, 02:10 AM
Has anyone used both of these ecu's and know what the differences are? I know that they came out of different cars and have different fuel maps, but are they internally the same? I am planning on getting fitted with hondata. Basically I got a pw0 in exchange for a PR4 out of my integ. I am swapping in a b16a, and the guy I got the ecu from had a b18a installed in his rex, after failing to pass carb with his b16a (guess he said it had too much jdm stuff on it, and so it was less of a hassle to swap in the b18). Anyway, it was pretty much a swap, I know the guy, so it's not a big deal if I should get the pr3 instead, I can just give the pw0 back and ask him for some $ for the pr4. My question is if there are any pinout differnces in the two, (the pr3 & pw0) and if a pw0 worked for you. I am hoping to find someone in Cali who has used the pw0 and passed CARB inspection with it, but any advice is welcome. Thanks
Mike

The PW0 is just as easy to reprogram as the PR3... Should work fine with Hondata using the h071 base... Or you could always go the DIY route and save some money... www.pgmfi.org :)

As far as the cali emissions thing and getting ref'd... They never offered a B16 in the US during those years (88-91) so unfortunately they will make you convert to OBD1... Run the OBD1 injectors, distributor, B16a2 or a3 (Del Sol) Intake Manifold, an OBD1 P30 ECU, and some other stuff... At least that's what they make us do in San Diego... I suggest you call the ref and find out what they require before you start buying stuff and end up having to take it all off to switch anyway... :roll:

cool, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. Now, to convert to obd-1, I have a few q's. To do this, you have to buy OBD-1 injectors, distributor, a 4-wire o2 sensor, a p30 ecu, and what else? I already have a p73 IM that is being port matched to my head, will that work, or will I still need to buy an a2 manifold? Also, does anyone know if you can buy those obd 1 engine harness clips from anyplace, or am I going to have to rob a parts car?
Thanks for the replies.
Mike

Nope, they won't allow the Type-R Mani... The first inspection we had one on and they told us to get the intake manifold off of a B16a2 or B16a3 as long as it's not the 88-91 manifold... You'll need to also hook up the evap purge valve...

They do allow the OBD0 to OBD1 Conversion harnesses (www.boomslang.us has them) or just wiring in your own OBD1 clips as long as the rest of the wiring is straight... You'll have to buy the OBD1 pieces for several things however... The ignitor switch, the OBD1 injector clips, power harness connector under the intake manifold, distributor harness plug, and the o2 sensor plug... Or you could just put a full OBD1 harness in which we found was much easier to do...

I was wondering kind of a similar topic. I'm putting a jdm B16a from an sir in my 88 crx hf. I plan on doing ref and bar but wasn't sure if California B.A.R. allowed the use of a pw0 ecu or if I have to convert to obd1 and use a p30? I have access to either ecu but would rather keep it obd0 if at all possible just so I don't have to deal with converting everything. Please help

Back