Q about Helmets

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
The cartct.com website says

HELMETS: Must meet or exceed Snell or M95 specs. (Helmet must have sticker) and must be manufactured within the past 10 years.

I've been looking around web sites and such to find a helmet I can use that's not to expensive. I've come across a few things I like. My main concern would be, Is a helmet that is DOT approved just as acceptable as a Snell or M95 Specs?? and is an open face helmet acceptable.

I don't want to go buying a helmet and find out it's the wrong type.

I believe that they didn't accept DOT approved helmets....

they do require the better helmets....

There is a guy that sells them, from $80 for the basic model...I gave Celerity the card, so PM him for his number

I'm asking about the rating because viewing some of these sites they mention that a certain helmet meets DOT-218 / Snell M2000 , so would that make the certs equivalent ??

cause I've found a few I like and they are only about $90, shipped

cl-5_silver.jpg

it's an HJC and it's speced as , Standards: DOT-218, Snell-M2000, best part is it's only $67

detailed info of HJC

I've also just seen helmet that say meets or exceeds Meets or exceeds SNELL and DOT

would this be acceptable ?? I'me just trying to clear up my confusion

Well you want the helmet to be marked with at least a Snell 95 rating. No Snell marking and they won't allow you to use it. So just email the sellers and make sure about that. It's great if the helmets exceed the Snell standards, but it's what it is stickered that really counts.

Open face helmets are fine.

95 is the year. the problem is, if you get that, come 2005, they won't let you use it anymore. your better off getting the snell 2000, as that will be good until 2010.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 8 2003, 01:06 AM
95 is the year. the problem is, if you get that, come 2005, they won't let you use it anymore. your better off getting the snell 2000, as that will be good until 2010.

I thought that the SCCA will let you use a helmet up to two ratings less than whatever the current one is... but it's 10 years from the date of the manufacture of the helmet. Otherwise, I would rather buy a new helmet maybe every 5 years, rather than worry about getting a full 10 years use out of it. Updated technology and general overall condition... 10 years is a LONG ass time.

I just got a used Bell Vortex full face helmet. Snell SA95 but made in '98. It's also been autographed by the JAG actress Catherine Bell. Anyone get Stuff magazine? She's on the current October cover and in the article, she makes mention of the Toyota Celebrity series competition in which she wore my helmet in. :)

Back