Quality Of The Zc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Frank_Li

I know that VTEC engines have outstanding oil systems and the the LS versions of the B18 have weaker oil systems, but what about the ZC engine? Does anyone know how good the lubrication on these engines are? How strong are there internals? I'm asking because I work for minimum and yeah, I only make about 400 a month. ZC is a very cheap and easy drop in but does it allow some power upgrades or will it break?

the zc is the the bastard child of the d-series

its one tough cookie

i have one and i have beat the shit outta it and all i get is a smile back

its cheap its fun and its not hard to fix

but thats just it its not a very reputable power builder

Do you guys know how much boost it would take? Could it withstand reving up to 8000 rpm?

I have heard that it can withstand 8000rpms but I am not sure how much boost. The redline on this engine is 7200rpm.

Peace*

i had in the past zc's and all they do after years and years of abuse is just smoke and burn oil, i havent had one break down on me but on my friends yes becasue either they boosted too much or squeezed too much and didnt run enough fuel to the zc and blew it but that is not the engine's fault..its the operators fault

my buddy has a sohc zc in his 91 hatch and its still pullin strong. it has about 65,000 miles and he got it at 30,000 mils and all he has done to it is race the living shit out of it everyday and its still smiling back at him. its coughin up some black smoke here and there but it still has the same power......

yes mister li

its basically everything civic except for the intake manifold (depending on which type or zc)

its a cheap mod

mostly effective in the hf crx and si because everything is a direct bolt in even the wiring harness except for 2 pins in the ecu that must be switched with one another.

ive seen em go for 450 bucks

to be more specific, if you get the singlecam ZC, most parts except for the cam, IM, and pistons are the same as the EF Si engine (D16A6).

if you get the dualcam ZC, look for the D16A1 86-89 Integra engine for the same parts except for the cam, IM, and pistons. t-belt cover will also not work.

Originally posted by djextremity@May 14 2003, 04:06 PM
to be more specific, if you get the singlecam ZC, most parts except for the cam, IM, and pistons are the same as the EF Si engine (D16A6).

if you get the dualcam ZC, look for the D16A1 86-89 Integra engine for the same parts except for the cam, IM, and pistons. t-belt cover will also not work.

Let me correct you here. The EF Si IS a ZC powered car. It only came available in the Asian and Australian Markets. In Europe, they are the EE chassis.

The ED Si is the D16a6 powered USDM car.

We never got an EF or EE chassis stateside.

eh, my buddy blew his zc, my other buddy breaks his axels with his zc & blows trannys, my other buddy his zc runs fine, doesn't break nuttin, so i have mixed feelings on them, i say b18a or b18b

I just looked at the refrence chart and I noticed that one ZC has 137hp and another has 119. If I have to import the engine from Japan how will I know what I'm getting? I mean I want the DOHC with 137 or 129 Hp not some 119hp engine. I really don't want to be ripped off. What can you do to make sure you get the one that you want?

Originally posted by Frank_Li+May 18 2003, 07:00 PM-->
Is it really bolt on for my 90 H.B? Stock mount, tranny?  I know about the dual point and multi. port.
yes, it's a completely bolt in swap. even your stock tranny bolts right up (the si has the best gearing). you will have to convert to multi-port fuel injection if your car is not already equipted (sp?).

Frank_Li
@May 18 2003, 11:41 PM
I just looked at the refrence chart and I noticed that one ZC has 137hp and another has 119. If I have to import the engine from Japan how will I know what I'm getting? I mean I want the DOHC with 137 or 129 Hp not some 119hp engine. I really don't want to be ripped off. What can you do to make sure you get the one that you want?

i'm not sure what ZC had 137hp, but i'm pretty sure that the one out of the JDM EF (88-91) Civic/CRX Si was the one that had the 130hp. just make sure that when you order the engine that is a DOHC ZC and you'll be set.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@May 19 2003, 12:00 AM
hick.jpg

Ok, I can't read a damn thing that says.

haha, god damnit you dick. you fuckin' nail me everytime for the 15 secs. that my quotes are fuckered up when i use two quotes in a post. next time i'll just douple post :p .

Back