Quarter life crisis....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
So I have been reading a lot about this. All the issues with being in the age. The stresses associated with this point in life. Well, when I first heard about it, i thought it was B.S. but after researching it, it makes a lot of sense.

I feel the same stresses and insecurities everybody else does.

Quarter Life Crisis....Good Read

Take a look, discuss....

Lemme tell you something, in my 20s I travelled a lot, I worked for $145k paychecks, I was heads of staff and I routinely hit the New York City jet set - Stock traders, millionaires, all know my name.

I worked in a classic car garage, I made magazine articles, I wrote and performed poetry on stage. I headed many groups and events. I started off as a piano player, now I'm learning Violin.

During my 20s dark times befell me. I had some really really really low points. No one died, no one close to me anyway, but sometimes I wished it upon myself. I was homeless in the streets of Keene NH. I had no job for almost 2 years. I lost everything I had accumulated - including my 2 pugs and 2 of my cats. I lost my apartment. Cars. Friends.

I'm on the verge of 30, just a month away. And allow me to be the first to tell you - I can't fucking wait! With all the lessons I learned in my 20s, my 30s will be my new 20's. I still look young, I'm as fit as I was when I was 18 (Although I lost the 6-pack and hydraulic strength legs, but hey). I'm smarter now, more talented, and more ready for the new opportunities that will come. I'm better with money, I have remember all of my past, my mistakes and my better decisions. With that, I'm now going to be complete when I take the next plunge - a family, house, and a real career. I didn't do that when I was younger, and I'm smarter for it.

I have a lot now. I have more friends than I ever had, People stop me on the street "Celerity? The Celerity?" I have people who call me from across the country looking for advice. I have people from around the world calling me to say thanks. Just tonight, one of my first B18C build owners called me to offer me his car, at half selling price, because he knew that "This car belongs in the hands of his creator".

5 months ago I got a call from a Rolls Royce owner who asked me to come back for a day and work on his Silver Cloud, and tune up his new Celica clutch "The way he liked it".

Dude, the 20s are just the beginning. The best is truly yet to come.

i always wanted to know, how the hell did you get the name celerity?

ce·ler·i·ty (s-lr-t)
n.
Swiftness of action or motion; speed. See Synonyms at haste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French célérité, from Old French, from Latin celerits, from celer, swift.]

Celerity

celerity was Word of the Day on February 11, 2000.

Source: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

I got an IM on my ICQ that day. My old nick on IRC and other places was "pHaedra", after both the Ovid Poem and a really good Tangerine Dream Album. The IM said simply "Your name is Phaedra? So is mine!".

Phaedra was a 19 year old girl from outside Carondelet Kansas. Carondelet is also a great song by "Ruby" (Leslie Rankine, of which I happened to be listening to). Phaedra was an engineering student, and she was prototyping a 3-dimension graphical display, using light curtains in a cylinder. By virtue of the light curtains, it is also touch-sensitive.

After being bothered by many people that "pHaedra" was a girls name, and the countless amounts of "A/S/L" shit that I Got online, she asked me to change my name.

"What do you suggest I change it to?"

"Go to dictionary.com and look at their 'word of the day'"

If anyone attends University of Kansas in .. where was that.. um.. oh hell I forgot the town, and knows Phaedra Babcock, tell her I said "hi".

Quoted post[/post]]
now I'm learning Violin.

That was a scary night. lol

Anyway, I hear on the mid life crisis. At best, it's 3rd life crisis. i don't know about 1/4 life :p

Life sucks, we're always poor, we always want more than what we have, the grass is always greener....

but when you look back, you say to yourself, damn, those were the days.

Like high school. I hated it back in the day... but now, it's great to think about all the stupid stuff i did as a kid. jumping my moms car.... watching bill puke his brains out after prom.... lol good times :p

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
now I'm learning Violin.

That was a scary night. lol

Anyway, I hear on the mid life crisis. At best, it's 3rd life crisis. i don't know about 1/4 life :p

Life sucks, we're always poor, we always want more than what we have, the grass is always greener....

but when you look back, you say to yourself, damn, those were the days.

Like high school. I hated it back in the day... but now, it's great to think about all the stupid stuff i did as a kid. jumping my moms car.... watching bill puke his brains out after prom.... lol good times :p
:werd: now thinking back we were so protected in high school even though we didn't think so. there were so many good times that i had back then that i never thought would mean anyting. now thinking back i wish life now was simple enough to be able to just go do some of that fun stuff again. But i guess thats what retirements for, if we are lucky to live that long and have the means to not work and enjoy life after experiencing a lot more.

Quoted post[/post]]
i want to live in an alternate reality.

i often find myself repeating one of edward norton's quotes from fight club...
"i dream of a life that doesn't so closely resemble my own."

that movie was kind of a quarter life crisis theory. we all have this illusion when we are groing up that we will be rich, famous, or attractive, and now we are all pissed because we realize it isn't going to happen.

i'm not really pissed. but that movie does make a lot of good points. points about the doldrums of life and how we need to realize what's important.

If Fight Club represents what you're going through, then follow the lessons of Fight Club. I can almost teach seminars on that movie.

"Just let go", a reoccuring theme, treads on the idea that you need to just get over yourself, you need to lose your addictions, and only when you simplify, can you build up a new personality.

You can keep on adding to a house that you buy, endlessly until it resembles a castle. And it will be just that - a house with a zillion add-ons. If you tear it down to the foundation, then you can build it up right.

There are millions of people out there who are complete by taking what they have and adding onto it. There are only a few that have broken it down to their core, and rebuilt anew.

Back